Tutorial Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Projects and Tutorials
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
No you dont seem to understand how Windows fully works.

The guide you posted is NOT the HDD = the Desktop. Cause User Profiles are not the only thing that make up a user desktop. That is just 1 aspect of many that come into play when using Windows. You still need Explorer.exe, DWM.exe and many other files which ARE stored on the SSD to see the desktop.

Therefor it is as I have said. Both drives. You can't separate 1 aspect of Windows from the other. All you did was move a file location. You did not move what it takes to operate that file. Try to bring up your desktop and have it work with only the files you have on the HDD and not with anything on the SSD. You will see that you cant.

Yeah i probably dont understand.. but the guide i followed.. if i save stuff on my desktop it takes the memory from my HDD.
My users folder is on the HDD and not the SSD.

The first question i asked is just that for this guide.. if i save stuff on my desktop will it take memory from my HDD and not the SSD.

_SomeOne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady Techie

I've been reading since you first posted and also trying to understand what you want. I'm still not getting it either.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

This was pretty much the only thing holding me back from a(an?) SSD. I think I'll be picking one up in the near future. Thanks for sharing
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I wouldn't advise moving the directory of anything after a fresh install for several reasons, mostly, windows update tends to flip out when it tries to update for the first time. I made this guide as I still store large files that need fast access on the SSD, but don't need games to have such fast load times, so large games get put onto a RAID array so I still get some speed but more storage.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
I wouldn't advise moving the directory of anything after a fresh install for several reasons, mostly, windows update tends to flip out when it tries to update for the first time. I made this guide as I still store large files that need fast access on the SSD, but don't need games to have such fast load times, so large games get put onto a RAID array so I still get some speed but more storage.
I can vouch for part of this. Windows Update didnt throw much of a fit, but I am unable to update IE within Win7 to IE9. So I have to undo all the Registry Edits so that I can do the update, then put them back. UGH!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

I don't see why it isn't so hard to just type D:\ when you're installing a new program? That's what I do and takes less than a second of my time during every game/program install. Don't get me wrong, this is great for anyone wanting to do this, but I like having certain things on my SSD that require snappy. For instance, if Firefox and Xfire are loaded onto my HDD when I boot up it will take a few seconds to grab both programs from my drive instead of both coming up simultaneously with Firefox being on the SSD. I also require other programs on my SSD that otherwise would be slower on my main drive. I don't really get much of a difference from games being on my SSD due to low IOPS, so I don't mind them being on my HDD.

@ _someone_ To answer your question in simple and full: No, if you do this tutorial when you save things to your desktop it will still be on the SSD. This tutorial is simply making Windows tell programs to install to your secondary HDD by default. It has nothing to do with things being saved on the desktop.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It actually does more than tell it to use a second drive as the install path, it tells the OS that %program files% is basically in a different location. Though it's strange IE didn't update properly for you Mak, maybe there is another setting hidden somewhere deeper in the registry.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I don't see why it isn't so hard to just type D:\ when you're installing a new program? That's what I do and takes less than a second of my time during every game/program install.
Riddle me this. What if the program has it hard coded to automatically install to %system%? Meaning that it will automatically install to C:\Program Files instead of giving you that option to install to a different drive. I dont know such programs like Microsoft Office 2010 for example. A heavily used program that would put massive wear and tear on your brand new SSD can cause it to have a shorter life span.

So yeah your right, it wouldnt be hard to type the drive letter, for me its E:\Program Files or E:\ Program Files (x86) by the way, when that option is available. But since more and more programs are automatically deciding where to install to, that isnt an option leaving us to do this ourselves. I dont need my main email program putting that much wear on my new SSD. I need it on a mechanical drive to operate from. Since the option isnt there, I have to take steps to do it a different way. Office 2010 just says Install Now and doesnt give you any options.

I dont know c0rr0sive. I am just gonna do it this way and see if it takes.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

I use 2007, and I can tell it to install to my mechanical like always. I've been using SSD's basically since they came out and have been relatively "cheap" and I've never had a problem with not being able to tell my program to install elsewhere.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

MSN Live 2011 -.-