<Project> I want to build my own flight controller

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I've been mulling over this idea for a while now.
I've narrowed down the main computer boards to these two.

First is the Arduino DUE. It's a mule amongst show ponies.
Arduino Due - assembled [Due] ID: 1076 - $49.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
By using Arduino libraries, you can reduce the amount of code by eliminating repetitive modules. You just call for the one and use it over and over as needed with out having to type it over and over. It uses C++ for its language and has it's own compiler software for free.

Next up is the Intel Edison. Lots of raw horsepower and plenty of ram. Problem is its OS in a bastard version of Linux.
Intel® Edison Kit w/ Arduino Breakout Board ID: 2180 - $109.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
From the vids and tuts on it, the command code is long and clunky. I'm looking in to what languages can be use with it and whether or not compiled code will run on it.

Once I get settled on which one I'll use then come the next set of components to add in to make it all come together.

Any comments and or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Edison is out. After doing some deeper looking in to Edison on the Arduino expansion board, put a limit on the amount of PWM pins. Edison has 6 but the board restricted that down to 4.

Need at least 6, no two ways about it. The finished prototype is going to have some weight to it. A hex can lift a lot more than a quad. But with only 4 PWM pins, the Edison is out.
The Arduino DUE has 12 PWM pins. It also has 70 I/O pins including the PWM pins.

So now to Adafruit to get the DUE on its way here before the weekend.

I've shifted over to an Arduino UNO R3. I'm working on a test jig for the flight controllers. Since there is no interest in this here, I've started a thread over at my place. Since it's not a competing computer forum, but instead a RC hobby forum, I didn't think posting the link would be against the rules here.

Arduino goodness

Interesting project, I just have no idea what's required with a flight controller and as such can't comment on the best choice of hardware :p

What does the flight controller have to control? 4-6 motors? Does it incorporate the job of ESCs?

The FC as it's referred to, takes the commands from the multi channel receiver, mixes them with the internal sensor's data, and passes those outputs to the ESC's to spin up or down as needed to control the flight of the platform. Since the micro controller in the ESC's controls the higher current being passed to the motors, in my opinion, it's a lot better to keep them as a separate device.
Some like a DJI NAZA have the sensors built in, which makes setting up the parameters the FC goes by, a lot simpler. But that complicates making your own. The micro computer board has to have an abundance of GPIO's and be really fast. The DUE runs at 87Mhz and has a lot of memory space for a complex program. It also sports 50 GPIO. The bang for the buck ratio is excellent considering what it is and does. But just my luck my geek candy stores ran out of that flavor.

I got an UNO with a 16Mhz speed and considerably less GPIO's. BUT I can expand the crap out of it. There is all sorts of what's called shields and other breakout boards you can get. But we all know the more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to muck up the drain. Tip of the ole propeller beanie to Mr Scott. (I'm giving you all she's got.)

So for right now seeing it might be after new years before they get back in stock, I did a Don Quixote and tilted off in another direction. Right now I'm getting the electronics put together to make a test jig for current main stream Flight control computers like the DJI NAZA line. It should work with open source but not being familiar with those boards, I'd have to get one to see what's going on inside.

The board is going to be simple and neat. I like clean and neat layouts. A lot less complex to trouble shoot.
Using the serial monitor function it will be showing on a computer what is going on. I'll have to find or write a filter program to see just what I need to see in real time.

Should be fun. So far so good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom