Help Needed With Hobby Project: Traveling Robot Car That Talks

Jaramelon

Beta member
okay, at first i'll tell you my plan:
i want to make a traveling robot car that talks. which means? well. im gonna buy a Lego Technic Rod set, and if necessary, a remote.
when i bought that remote, im gonna use these steps:

transistors - Increase the range of RC controller - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

to inscrease the range, so i can let it go anywhere i want in west europe.
then, i'll buy a camera, till now i've found a Rollei Action Cam, which i can put on the robot car, and let it film anything what happens.
but that doesnt solve this problem: i need to see what happens from far, otherwise this little robot can bounce up to people and smash against the wall if i dont control it well.
so i need a camera that, like a sucurity cam. but, sucurity cams have a really bad view on things. i rather have another one, but i don't know where to find it.
does anyone have names for that kind of camera?
and the talking thing, i thought maybe i could connect the camera, which is already connected with my pc, however i dont know how that works (i need your help with that), record my own voice and connect it to the car again. but that's an extra. to make it talk, or atleast send a message over, i can put a letter hidden inside it too. but i rather make it send several messages, like, if someone picks it up you see typed words like: "hey ! stop it !" or make it peep loudly, like a sirene. that would make the oppurtunity bigger to make it last longer.

what do you guys think of my plan? is it possible?

ive considered buying a drone too. but, it has a few more disadvantages: when the drone is out of batteries, it just falls down and boom. there goes the drone, plus alot of money spend on it. plus, people suspect many drones carrying bombs. i dont wanna risk that stuff. the advantages tho are: it flies, and is harder to see, or picked up by people, and it has a camera already atleast when i download ARDrone.

i think, too, that there are possibilities to make this car go faster. but i haven't figured them out yet.
any tips? i'd be glad to hear them.

In the first place the range of a good RC transmitter is about 2 miles on the lower bands such as 1.2ghz/1.3ghz or the upper band 2.4ghz/5.8ghz. Lower band isn't recommended for control but is good for long range video. Your wanting to be able to drive it all over Europe with a simple hand held remote isn't possible. Unless you can rent a channel on a satellite transponder.

But all things considered I'll tell you what you need for the FPV part. Keep in mind the range of most FPV systems is about 2 miles or so. Depends on what's in the way.
First you're going to need a good camera.
I use a CMQ1993X board camera on my flying platforms along with Sony's CMR1347X which can use C-mount lenses. And I use the PL1304 starlight camera for night work.
Next a FPV TX/RX pair.
For transmitting the video I use the DJI AVL 58. It's advertised as 500mw but it actually puts out 1 watt. The kit comes with the connector cables and the antennas for about 200usd. The receiver is included.
Next a control TX / RX.
The Spektrums DX9 is what I use. Good range and lots of programing options. You're about to give your VISA a stroke cause they cost 449usd. Worth every penny.
You don't normally need more than 2 maybe 3 channels for a RC car but with all you want to do, you're going to need them. As for a 9 channel receiver to go in the car, this one is real good because it's expandable. Spektrum AR9020 9-Channel DSMX XPlus Receiver. That's 149usd and the expansion module is another 90usd.

As for wanting to tool all over Western Europe, ain't gonna happen. One thing you're forgetting is batteries. I fly quads and hex's so battery life is critical. LiPo's are real dangerous if mistreated. If you take them too low or don't charge them right, they have a tendency to swell up and on some occasions catch fire. Speaking of that the only way to put out a LiPo fire is to toss it in a bucket of salt water. They ain't cheap either. Li ion is not used in the RC hobby except for powering the TX. Gel cell battery just weigh too much.

In some countries like here, you have to have a tech's ham license to be experimenting. Some frequencies require you have a ham license. So that's another expense. Then there's the drive motor, the ESC for it, steering servos, and a low to high power interface that goes between the RX and those goodies.

When you get in to the RC hobby better have some deep pockets.

In the first place the range of a good RC transmitter is about 2 miles on the lower bands such as 1.2ghz/1.3ghz or the upper band 2.4ghz/5.8ghz. Lower band isn't recommended for control but is good for long range video. Your wanting to be able to drive it all over Europe with a simple hand held remote isn't possible. Unless you can rent a channel on a satellite transponder.

But all things considered I'll tell you what you need for the FPV part. Keep in mind the range of most FPV systems is about 2 miles or so. Depends on what's in the way.
First you're going to need a good camera.
I use a CMQ1993X board camera on my flying platforms along with Sony's CMR1347X which can use C-mount lenses. And I use the PL1304 starlight camera for night work.
Next a FPV TX/RX pair.
For transmitting the video I use the DJI AVL 58. It's advertised as 500mw but it actually puts out 1 watt. The kit comes with the connector cables and the antennas for about 200usd. The receiver is included.
Next a control TX / RX.
The Spektrums DX9 is what I use. Good range and lots of programing options. You're about to give your VISA a stroke cause they cost 449usd. Worth every penny.
You don't normally need more than 2 maybe 3 channels for a RC car but with all you want to do, you're going to need them. As for a 9 channel receiver to go in the car, this one is real good because it's expandable. Spektrum AR9020 9-Channel DSMX XPlus Receiver. That's 149usd and the expansion module is another 90usd.

As for wanting to tool all over Western Europe, ain't gonna happen. One thing you're forgetting is batteries. I fly quads and hex's so battery life is critical. LiPo's are real dangerous if mistreated. If you take them too low or don't charge them right, they have a tendency to swell up and on some occasions catch fire. Speaking of that the only way to put out a LiPo fire is to toss it in a bucket of salt water. They ain't cheap either. Li ion is not used in the RC hobby except for powering the TX. Gel cell battery just weigh too much.

In some countries like here, you have to have a tech's ham license to be experimenting. Some frequencies require you have a ham license. So that's another expense. Then there's the drive motor, the ESC for it, steering servos, and a low to high power interface that goes between the RX and those goodies.

When you get in to the RC hobby better have some deep pockets.
Hello, thankyou for your answer.
Youre right about needing alot of money haha.
I thought about buying everything second hand but they dont sell it in the dutch stores online.
But, as almost everything, these things arent one of a kind luckily!
I wondered, Im not really smart in all those technical devices and their meanings yet, but why buying such a big thing when you can do it with this?

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/kaiser-nienhaus-handzender-met-4-toetsen-868-mhz-350150-na-640525.html

Theres probably a reason behind it I believe so. However, I dont have alot of money: only 60 euros in total. I have to do it with that till now.

I thought about the satellite thing too, its possible I guess, but I need access to the signal station for that Ive heard. Even if I have, I dont know what will be the next step.

I understood you did those things often? :D thats so awesome ! I love the idea, I saw it alot in movies and now I wanted to try it myself, because I have nothing to do. I understand how much work it costs, but every step of the progress is like an achievement.

All with all, can you make a list with all the things I need to buy? Like were gonna do grocery shopping ! Haha. Im gonna do some research of the prices. Then, Ill ask you if you can make a step by step instruction of how to use those tools, if you want to do that for me, Id be more than happy ! Maybe our cars will find eachother someday.

60 euros at current trade to dollars is 68.21. Any thing you need is going to be expensive. A lot more than you have. Any thing hand crafted in the RC hobby is expensive.

Not meaning to be a wet blanket or rude to you but, how old are you?

Back
Top Bottom