Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi Review
By Steven James

DSC00435.jpg

For this last Christmas I received a 3rd gen Amazon Kindle E-Book Reader. After 3-4 weeks of using the device I want to let you all know how I like it.

In the Box:

• Manuals
  • Kindle
  • USB Cable
  • A/C Adapter

DSC00436.jpg

Specs:
  • Amazon Kindle 3rd Gen Wi-Fi Only (No 3G)
  • 6" E-Ink Screen
  • Keyboard
  • Holds about 2500 E-book
  • Standard Head Phone Jack

DSC00440.jpg

I have been wanting to get my hands on one of these for awhile now so I went into this pretty excited so I am going to start out with the features.

This E-Reader has the new "E-Ink" screen. I haven't played around with one to much before so I didn't know what to expect. The screen looks fantastic and like a real piece of paper. I was crystal clear at every size of font. True that screen isn't as fast as an LCD but there is no glare and its still decently quick at transferring pages.

Navigation was kind of a concern with me. I didn't know how easy it was going to be. It turns out that it is relatively simple to navigate. with the push of a button you can dive right into the book list, settings, kindle store and more. You can throw any amount of books into folders or "Collections" as they are called. This allows you to easily keep series of books together. The fully QWERTY keyboard is a huge help in navigation. It functions well and allows quick searching, and even easier navigation of the Kindle Store.

The Kindle Store is absolutely huge. There are tons of books and text books for college as well as manga and other comics (represented in black and white of course). You can even purchase games like solitare, poker, chess and pac-man.

DSC00439.jpg

As for the hardware, it is very light and thin. It feels natural while holding as well as having great battery life. When I pulled it out of the box it had a half charge and it took 4 weeks of use everyday for it to finally die.

DSC00441.jpg

Don't be fooled by all this glamor of the device though as there are some cons. Although I can only think of two, I knew them going in and they definitely aren't deal breakers. First of all, there is no support for E-pub, the basic e-book format. This con can be easily eliminated with Calibre, a e-book management program. The second issue is that there is no back lighting. That means to read in the dark you need purchase a clip on light or one of those nifty cases that has one built in. (I still just use a lamp).

DSC00437.jpg

So after all this is considered. I give the Amazon Kindle a 10/10. It does exactly what it is meant to do although it is lacking e-pub and back lighting (which may not be possible yet).

Back lighting can be a big power drain so its a good trade off to not have it included. An integrated led like those used on lenovo think pads that can be turned off or on would be an improvement that may be on a later revision.

Supported Formats: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion

I bought my mom one for Christmas and now am seriously considering one for myself, especially if I get to go back to college.

I would love to buy one if funds ever permit for my mother, shes one of those types that reads all the time, but reads those sci-fi romance novels. Not sure if her fav authors have e-books.

Anyways, the only killer would be the no backlighting.

A few LEDS that can be turned on/off will not hamper battery power.

I would love to buy one if funds ever permit for my mother, shes one of those types that reads all the time, but reads those sci-fi romance novels. Not sure if her fav authors have e-books

You would be amazed at how many books are in ebook formats. If you use Calibre you can convert any that are not in a format the Kindle can use into one it can. That's what I am doing for my mom. She loves older books and quite a number of them are free online.

My main issue with the kindle is it doesn't support epub. I already have a decent amount of epub files already for my iPhone...other than that, it looks pretty nice. The battery life is pretty impressive, I'm still flitting between getting an e-ink monochrome or a color, the color ones have muuuch less battery.

I love my kindle 3, I have the wifi version myself and it's nice to know I can carry round a small technical libary round with me.

I love my kindle 3, I have the wifi version myself and it's nice to know I can carry round a small technical libary round with me.

If you come across an extra one, Sax old buddy, send it my way. ;)

My main issue with the kindle is it doesn't support epub. I already have a decent amount of epub files already for my iPhone...other than that, it looks pretty nice. The battery life is pretty impressive, I'm still flitting between getting an e-ink monochrome or a color, the color ones have muuuch less battery.

Calibre, mentioned above is great for that nasty epub deal. Converts it to MOBI and it does it well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom