Your 6x9 of choice.

I like my Rockford Punch 6x9's. Great mids, decent lows for what they are.

In my old car I used to have those + some Inifnity Kappa 4x6's in the front, with bass blockers (basically just polarized capacitors to block low frequencies in-line with the speaker wire). Had those for my fronts, the Rockford Punch 6x9's for my rears, and a pair of 150w Rockford Prime 12" subs, going off of a monoblock Pioneer 800w amp. The speakers I just had powered from the head unit, so I wasn't utilizing them to their fullest, but they still put out some damn good sound.

Since I switched cars (1994 Lumina to a 2004 Monte Carlo), I've only put the Rockford 6x9's in, since I would need to make custom mounts for the 4x6's, since they're originally meant to be dash speakers rather than door speakers; haven't put the subs in because I've been needing trunk space since being in college and moving from place to place and such.

Aftermarket Pioneer speakers are almost always great. I don't think there is a better budget brand, and their higher end stuff is also very good.

I run Infinity Kappa's in my truck, 5x7's, and they are just awesome. I love their natural sound.

loved my Apline 6x9 Type R's but that was like 4 years ago. not much into the car audio scene now. but i liked my alpines. but i know you will/as i would too. look into all recommendations to speakers. just my 2 cents as to what to look into.

Oops... sorry I didn't realize I revived an old thread.

At least the information hasn't changed much. The car audio world has been pretty uneventful for years now. You pretty much get what you pay for.

I recently installed Infinity Reference 6x8 two-way speakers in the doors of my Focus along with a Clarion mini-amp behind the dashboard. Gives me true 50x4 amplification of my stock head unit so I can still use my bluetooth/SYNC system.

I have a 10" Polk Dxi subwoofer waiting for a box and amp to go in the trunk. I just haven't made my mind up on whether I want to buy a box or build one that I can mount an amp to.

I think i'll just wait 'till I can afford a car with the additional premium sound systems.

I'm not really interested in aftermarket audio. It's a totally different world to home Hi-Fi, and it seems to have an emphasis on huge subs and 50KW super mega amps, le sigh.

I think i'll just wait 'till I can afford a car with the additional premium sound systems.

This always seems like a good idea, but in most cases, the "premium" sound system in a car is still comprised of paper speakers and cheap wiring with little or no adjustment to the user.

Quality car audio doesn't require huge subwoofers or mega powered amps. You just need a clean source, good speakers, and NVH cancelling materials. I enjoy it because it's pretty challenging. Most passenger cars are not theaters so it's difficult to get it just right.

My boyfriend is house-sitting for some folks who have a Lincoln MKZ with the THX certified audio system. That is true premium audio and it sounds great, but the user is limited by MyLincoln Touch's interface as to what adjustments can be made to the audio.

I'm not really interested in aftermarket audio. It's a totally different world to home Hi-Fi, and it seems to have an emphasis on huge subs and 50KW super mega amps, le sigh.
You pay attention to popular media too much then. The only time I've ever had a sub was to be ridiculous because of the area I worked in. Otherwise, I prefer the opposite.

As Mac said, 90% of "premium" audio solutions in a car is an upgraded version of crap which makes it turd status. You can make a car sound awesome with the proper speakers and a quality amp. Most vehicles require sound and vibration dampening as well. Not really different from home audio at all.

I guess you don't know the two different basic classes.... SQL, and SPL... SQL = Sound Quality Level, and SPL = Sound Pressure Level. Most idiots you see are teenagers with 2 cheaptastic subs and sub-standard mids/highs, those are the ones that think SPL is the shiz.

Then you have people that enjoy SQL, they spend a few hundred on quality components that will sound nice, and spend a good amount of time making sure it sounds right in a car.

Me personally... Kinda in between... You can hear all the mids-highs just fine in my car, but the bass is also loud enough to set off car alarms several spaces away easily, yet it still sounds really nice. The issue comes down to the lower frequencies jumbling up the higher frequencies at higher volume levels.

Back
Top Bottom