Tire question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techleaner

In Runtime
2003 Chevy Tahoe

My tires now are 265/70R16 and they are getting down there.

My in-laws are giving me 4 new 265/75R16's for free, but I want to know will this work or will this ruin something?

Should work just fine, though if they aren't the original size (check driver's side door panel) you're speedometer will read slow. So if the speedometer says 60, you'll actually be going 62.

Actually, his spedometer will read the same. Here is the way the numbers work. Tire Height/Tire width/Rim Size, since his tire height and rim size are the same, his speedo will be fine. The newer tires are SLIGHTLY wider, which will help with traction, but do NOT fill the tires to the maximum pressure, otherwise they WILL pop off the rim due to the increased width. Even if they dont they may be leaky.

Usually, it is OK since they are virtually the same size, you will just have a slightly wider tire, did the same thing on my sisters GMC Sonoma, she had a 265/75r16 when it usually had a 265/70r16

Actually it will be different. It's width/height/rim. The OE size on my truck was 275/55/20 and I went to 275/60/20 and my speedometer is off by 2 mph. Basically I went from a 32 inch tire to a 33 inch. Here's a tire calculator for you to check it out. Tire size calculator

Hrm, someone at the tire shop lied two weeks ago then... yay... Thanks for clearing that up toxicity_27.

Most people get that mixed up. I know mechanics that have been working on cars for years that can't get that straight..

I have 31x10.5R15 on a 15x7 wheel. Went up 3 inches roughly, and my speedometer is 11 miles off at 70mph. its like 16% or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom