The official MTB discussion thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Looks like it'll be a sweet bike when it is done. I would probably have bought one of those frames if I hadn't recently bought a hardtail 29er. It needs upgrades, but they'll have to wait. Post up a picture of it when you get it all built up.

Looks like it'll be a sweet bike when it is done. I would probably have bought one of those frames if I hadn't recently bought a hardtail 29er. It needs upgrades, but they'll have to wait. Post up a picture of it when you get it all built up.

Nice - I know quite a few people with 29er Hardtails. They speak highly of them. What kind of components do you have on it now? Got any pictures to throw up? I think after I get this done I will *finally* have a bike I'm content with. I had a hard time deciding on whether or not this was the frame for me. I thought something with more travel (upwards of 6" or more) would have been more suitable. After a ton of research and evaluating user opinions and whatnot, I think the best thing was to get this frame. I do a lot of everything - small jumps, bumps, roots, single track, and a decent amount of climbing - something larger travel bikes aren't so hot in. Since I'm not jumping off of roofs, I figured this was a practical choice. Adding to it, had I gone with a higher travel frame, my 3 week old 120mm fork wouldn't be able to work since I would have had to get a longer travel fork to accommodate the geometry match of the frame. Not to mention, if I've been fine on a hardtail all this time and haven't had any issues, chances are adding a frame with 4.2" of rear travel I didn't have before will be a nice touch. :p

RockShox are what I had on my bike. I LOVE there stuff.

RockShox makes excellent stuff. They are owned by SRAM, who has their own line of drivetrain. SRAM also owns Avid, which is the maker of the BB7 brakes I posted above. Pretty much everything from SRAM/RockShox/Avid in general is a winner. Of course they have their low low low end stuff I tend to avoid, but so does Shimano and every other company under the sun. Overall, good stuff though. I'm a fan.

I had a Transition Bottle Rocket. Sold it because I didn't ride to much anymore.. Now I am kicking myself had for it as I don't have 3k to put up for a bike. I rock a RedLine BMX now. Won't be getting a new DH bike anytime soon either as I am starting to finish up my Jeep and starting on a Rally Car.

I had a Transition Bottle Rocket. Sold it because I didn't ride to much anymore.. Now I am kicking myself had for it as I don't have 3k to put up for a bike. I rock a RedLine BMX now. Won't be getting a new DH bike anytime soon either as I am starting to finish up my Jeep and starting on a Rally Car.

I used to have a GT Racing bike back in high school. I loved that thing till it got stolen.

Nice - I know quite a few people with 29er Hardtails. They speak highly of them. What kind of components do you have on it now? Got any pictures to throw up?

It's not anything special. It's a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er. It's still completely stock.

Brakes: Avid BB5's (absolute crap)
RD: Sram X-5 mid cage
FD: Shimano Altus
Fork: Rockshox Dart 3 SL (absolute crap)
Shifters: Sram X-4 trigger

This is a picture of my 29er;
DSC01528.jpg

This is a picture of my 2005 Gary Fisher Advance. Also bone stock.
DSC01522.jpg

It's not anything special. It's a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er. It's still completely stock.

Brakes: Avid BB5's (absolute crap)

Whoa whoa, why the BB5 hate? Avid makes some of the best brakes out there. How long have you had the bike?

How you liking 29" wheels? I know some people who love them. I wasn't too sure if it was "my" thing when I was bike shopping but I can definitely see they have a place in the biking world, and very deserving of it imo.

I found the rockhopper to not be the best bike by specialized. I Trashed the demo I rode. I guess they were made for more casual riding but STOCK they can't take a drop and the frames seemed week to me.

My next bike (Don't know when but someday)

tr450_weblarge3.jpg

Transition TR450. Love there products... Love that they are Rider owned and LOVE they are built in Seattle.

Don't bikes like these cost many thousands ? I do really like them though. If I was fit enough and had the money I would definitely get a good bike and upgrade it!

Don't bikes like these cost many thousands ? I do really like them though. If I was fit enough and had the money I would definitely get a good bike and upgrade it!

The bike I posted is about 5k new. Super nice bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom