The official MTB discussion thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I got another riding buddy. A friend of mine whom I've known for a long time used to be heavily into biking and kind of got out of it. Fast forward a few years and he's gained quite a bit of weight. With a wedding 11 months away he's more motivated than ever to get back into regular shape, so he asked me if I'd be up for spending some time lifting weights with him, riding bike, etc., just for the sake of company and pushing one another. He took the plunge and went out and bought a 2011 Trek 4300 and is also eyeing up a magnetic resistance trainer for stationary training, much like the one I have. While his goal is to lose weight, it's also to get into better overall shape and begin biking more and more. I foresee some awesome trail riding when spring rolls around. :)

I gotta admit though, it's crazy how much more motivated you can be when you're around somebody else who shares the same enthusiasm. I am pretty **** motivated. I ride about 15 miles (or more) a day and I lift weights every other day. I drink a ton of water and eat my apples/bananas/grapes in the mix too. But geez... now that we're getting into this mode I feel even more motivated to push myself. It's a good feeling though, so we'll have to keep on it and see how things go through the winter months and before we know it we'll be dustin off the KHS and his 4300 to hit the trails. Woo!

Lucky. The weather here has been pretty bad for the past couple of weeks. Also I threw out my back on Friday, just when I was hoping to get some more riding in.

Lucky. The weather here has been pretty bad for the past couple of weeks. Also I threw out my back on Friday, just when I was hoping to get some more riding in.

We've had good luck with weather, but it won't be long it'll be getting pretty cool again and dark early. However, I have a trainer and my buddy just bought one tonight online, so at least we can ride in his garage and whatever else. I hope to get a few more rides in before it gets too cold though. I'd like to invest in some winter clothing that's geared for cycling. Hopefully I'll have a little more guts than I did last year about it.

I blew the rear hub on my bike today... I don't know if you can rebuild those or not. But if not there goes a $100

Cost me roughly $30 to rebuild my rear hub. It was bad.. but luckily I was able to smooth out the axle.

You... blew out your rear hub? How do you blow out a hub? Did you just taco the rim severely and bust spokes? I've never heard of blowing out an actual hub, but maybe you and I are thinking of different things.

It might be easier to just get a new hub. I just purchased one last night, a SRAM X7 on SpeedGoat. It's originally 49.00 but was on sale for 32 something. HELLUVA steal for a rear hub with cartridge bearings, etc. Also got a WTB rim for about 30 and now I just need to figure out what spokes to get. Seems to be a tricky formula to figuring this out.

P-19646.jpg

A new hub for my bike was roughly $150.. So I just rebuilt it. The bearings pretty much exploded and screwed everything up.. I had to purchase 18 new bearings and some water resistant bearing greese and rebuilt the hub.

If I ever get enough money I'm planning on getting a wheelset built for my 29er. That's after the new fork, brakes, derailleurs shifters, and whatever else I come up with. I still haven't gotten around to riding since Labor Day. I've been getting sick lately so that hasn't helped anything out at all, and Thursday I'm leaving to go on a four wheeling trip on one of the nicest weekends forecasted. Just doesn't ever seem to work out.

A new hub for my bike was roughly $150.. So I just rebuilt it. The bearings pretty much exploded and screwed everything up.. I had to purchase 18 new bearings and some water resistant bearing greese and rebuilt the hub.

What the **** did you do? Take a drop off of a Holiday Inn? :p

Have you guys ever built wheels before? If so are there any tips you can give? I'm good with truing, but the process of lacing and ESPECIALLY figuring out what size spokes I need is a little confusing. I bought the hub and rim, I just kind of begin to draw a blank at this point for what spokes to grab...

I just neglected it and rode it 10 miles and then ran the BMX track really hard.. Came down and it just gave. Seized right up.

The first and last time I built a wheel was like 3-4 years ago and I don't remember much about it, except we used a special tool. There is tons of info but I would honestly go to a shop. They are more then glad to show/help you do it, most of the time (Usually the local ones anyway around here)

What the **** did you do? Take a drop off of a Holiday Inn? :p

Have you guys ever built wheels before? If so are there any tips you can give? I'm good with truing, but the process of lacing and ESPECIALLY figuring out what size spokes I need is a little confusing. I bought the hub and rim, I just kind of begin to draw a blank at this point for what spokes to grab...

I've actually got an ebook that a guy from mtbr sent me on building wheels. If you want me to send it your way let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom