The official MTB discussion thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right - let's talk about some racks now. (git yo mind outa tha gutter)

I have an Elantra, and I used to use a trunk rack. However, hauling bikes up and down the east coast countless times and biking every weekend has resulted in the trunk lid to show signs of sag - where at the top, it begins to have wider gaps in the seams. So I bought a tow hitch, mounted it myself, and got a hitch mount so there's nothing touching the trunk.

That's all well and good, but I got to thinking, I'd like to haul 1 extra bike to South Carolina in 2 weeks... So I thought, what if I adjusted the straps so the trunk mount is holding 1 bike almost horizontally over the trunk, and then put the other bikes on the hitch mount accordingly.

Space wise, it seems to work fine. I figured I'd ask here to find opinions regarding it. Can anybody think of any reason that'd be a bad idea, or perhaps, not legal? etc?

Well it should work. How many bikes are you hauling exactly? I use: Yakima › Shop › Bike › Top › FrontLoader

Well it should work. How many bikes are you hauling exactly? I use: Yakima › Shop › Bike › Top › FrontLoader

Max of 4. My hitch rack holds 3, so I was trying to figure out how to get a 4th one on the back of the car since I wouldn't have any room inside the car due to having 4 people in there and no room in the trunk to partially disassemble it and store it there due to all of our cargo for the trip to the beach. I figured I could stash 1 bike max on the rack being almost horizontal like that and then hang 3 off the hitch.

well you could and it would probably work but I personally would be nervous. Go pick up a yakima hitch rack as they can carry 4. Yakima › Shop › Bike › Hitch › FlipSide

The more I think about it, the more I wonder what there is to be nervous about. The racks have room in between. The only thing is, with my trunk full, people in the back seat, and 4 bikes - 3 off back and 1 on trunk, it'd be hella saggy @ the wheel wells.

But I think it might do... I'll hook up both racks tomorrow and see what happens. I'll take a picture and toss it in here so you guys can see what I'm seeing.

I didn't get a chance to throw the other rack on and take a picture since me building the bike ran a bit late, but I figured I'd toss up some pictures.

My Diamondback hardtail before gutting it for the frame and part transfer. Fun *** bike to ride. I'll definitely be using the frame and other spare parts to re-build it into a single speed hardtail for bumming around town.

The goods. Full Deore LX drivetrain. Hollowtech II external bottom bracket crankset. Avid BB7 brakes. SRAM cabling/housing.

Beginning to piece the gizmo together...

The finished product.

It's a fun bike. My first full suspension bike that wasn't from a department store. It rides wonderfully. The air ride rear shock, as expected, is as easily adjustable as my air fork up front, so I can dial in exactly where I want it for whatever riding I'm doing. I definitely like it plush when I'm just bumming around town, which brings it to about 150 psi @ my weight (190 lbs). But when I'm on the trail I know I'll want it around ~200 psi to be a little more firm and only move on the bigger stuff.

It's definitely different being on full suspension. It was very weird to me at first, but I'm definitely digging it. The way the bike feels when riding is very nice too. I feel like I'm in complete control. I spent a lot of time getting everything dialed in and sized up right, from the spacing of the spacers on the steer tube to the angle of the handlebars, seat, etc. I dig it. Can't wait to go get it dirty!

Looks pretty sweet. You'll have to give us a post ride report. I'm assuming the rear shock has a lockout?

Not sure. I didn't notice one when I was tinkering around. Most users said that this shock was nice to get started, but for most people, it's worth it to upgrade.

I've spent enough money recently, so I'll give it a few weeks to get a new shock. :p

Not sure. I didn't notice one when I was tinkering around. Most users said that this shock was nice to get started, but for most people, it's worth it to upgrade.

I've spent enough money recently, so I'll give it a few weeks to get a new shock. :p

Haha, how is the pedal bob on it then, or have you not had it out to the trail in the few hours it's been finished?

Do you guys have actual MTB downhill trails? I was watching a video of one in Sweden that look insane. There's nothing like that around here sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom