The official MTB discussion thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Do mountain bike frames really break if u use them wrong ? Surely they only do so if your particularly heavy and you fall like 10meters o_O

It depends what you're doing with it. I broke a bike doing cross country, but it was also a relatively rough trail, and was originally purchased at wal mart. If you take a hardtail down a freeride track, you're asking for trouble. I've never broken a frame, but most frames I've seen that were broken were either due to faulty designs and warrantied without issue, or were done when the rider was taking the bike outside of its originally intended element.

The idea is to get enough bike for you + some growth, but not too much than what you'll need. Otherwise, you'll have a 5,000 dollar bike that performs what you'd utilize from a 450 dollar bike. Or a bike with a foot of front/rear travel when you barely see tree roots on the trail, etc.

Personally I like to ride cross country bikes, since they seem to be the most versatile. I could get a downhill bike and sure, it'll be pretty much bombproof, but I do a lot of climbing, riding around town, etc... Not exactly what a downhill bike is made for - since after all they're made for going... down.. hill... :p My hardtail has served me very nicely, and the only reason I've gone into the full suspension realm is because I've gotten to be a better rider, so now I'm riding longer - but now the poor back is killing me after quite a bit of time on the trail. Having 4-5 inches front/rear suspension gives me plenty of room to drop off of decent sized rocks, jumps, etc. while (should) help out my back a little bit. Everybody is different, and my preferences won't speak for everyone.

This is my current ride. It began as a 2008 Diamondback Response Sport. I upgraded almost everything on it. New wheelset, new drivetrain, new cabling, new fork, etc. The blue beauty on the left I got for 15 bucks on Craigslist. It's good for just about... nothing.

I spoke about the parts I bought for the Diamondback in the "what you just bought" thread before it got split, but I didn't notice my "upgrade" post re-routed to this thread. I ended up grabbing:

KHS XC 204 Frame
Shimano LX External BB Bearing Crankset (22-32-44)
Shimano LX Shifters
All new cabling/housing
New seat post
etc...

Then from old bike using:
Avid BB7 Brakes
Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur
Cassette + Chain
RockShox Tora SL Solo Air 120mm w/ 20mm Axle
Stem/Handlebars/Grips

So after it's all said and done, I should have a pretty decent burly XC/light AM bike. By then it will no longer be a "Diamondback" anymore. Now if only this **** would get here so I can build it... getting a little anxious...

I know what you mean.. Kman - this thread will also help any future member wanting to get into it as well. :D

I think by next summer I should have a decent All Mountain Bike.. SOmething that can travel up hill with 6-8" of travel..

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

36GB, that would make it 72gb in 3D. Ouch !

I knew there would be a difference in the bikes by the way, i re read what i said and realized i sounded like an idiot :p What i meant was, would i personally be able to tell.
It's just i remember the first time i went skiing the ski's i had were <£100, but the shop would let you try any you want and swap them for free. So me being that kind of person who does something just because its a good deal, swapped to some Ski's costing over £500. Apart from being faster because they were newly waxed i could not tell the slightest difference. But now i can tell a lot, going fast on cheep ski's = death :D
Nah, it doesn't quite double the capacity; usually only 50-60% extra :) Blu-ray 3D specifications finalized, your PS3 is ready -- Engadget

I know what you mean.. Kman - this thread will also help any future member wanting to get into it as well. :D

I think by next summer I should have a decent All Mountain Bike.. SOmething that can travel up hill with 6-8" of travel..

Very nice. Do you plan on buying it or building it yourself?

I had no idea there were any other members, let alone this many, who seem to have a real solid interest in biking...

The problem this thread will have is there are only like 3 members who have mountain bikes on this forum :p

Well, I don't want to shy anybody away from participating in this thread because I think it's cool there's techie riders here on these forums, but check out MTBR.com for an alternative and more thorough forum - they have a very extensive forum and very knowledgeable people, which a lot of them compete in races or own/work in their own bike shop. MTBR is a pretty solid all-around web site. There's a reviews section with a ton of reviews on different parts, frames, components, complete bikes, etc., and there's also the forum of course, classifieds, as well as a series of recommended bike part web sites to order stuff from. Even if you don't post, just reading threads can help out quite a lot. It may not all click at first, but in time it will.

^+1. I'm a member there and don't post much but have learned a lot just reading through the threads. They have a subforum there all about mountain bike passion where people tell stories and post pictures of their rides. Definitely helps me getting stoked about riding.

The bikes are cool and all, but **** expensive. I mean i would like one, but would i got out and spend like 5k+ on one, not a chance.

Nah, I'd spent at most $1k/£600 on a bike, unless I end up in pro olympic cycling or something.

The bikes are cool and all, but **** expensive. I mean i would like one, but would i got out and spend like 5k+ on one, not a chance.

Just get a bike that suits you. If your biking style requires 5k, then that's one thing. My bike originally retailed for 450 dollars, but I got it for 350 due to it being a 2008 and I bought it in 2009. It had some low end parts, but was substantially better than anything you'd find at wal mart. In fact, avoid wal mart bikes if at all possible.

I've since upgraded parts over time to my bike from start to finish. With this frame and parts overhaul I recently got, overall I've probably spent about 1,200 on my bike. However I have so many leftover parts that still work, I'll be able to slap together a quick single speed hardtail to bum around town with.

What I suggest is you go to a bike shop and check out some of the bikes there and get a feel for what would work for you. While I would LIKE a 5,000 dollar bike, there's no way I'd buy one. Can you imagine taking a spill on a 5,000 dollar bike and busting the frame or something? I'd rather deal with bikes of lower prices so I don't need to sell a kidney to get a replacement part for it if need be.

^ya, i buy cheapo bikes, i have like a 400 dollar bike, that i have not changed any parts on, i demo stuff alot doing stupid ****...but i have not been biking in, must be 2 years at least now, had a close call on a trail, and i don't know, i just don't feel like biking any more. Not that I'm afraid of it now, i just lost the interest. I'm more into doing stuff on water now...find it more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom