New timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
2001 Elantra, 143k miles, original timing belt.

Called the garage for a quote - 215 with labor but before taxes.

Thoughts on the worthiness of this? It's Christmas season, so I am even more poor than I normally am. But I'd like this car to last another 100 years, so me think it may be a worthy candidate to even put on the credit card. Thoughts???

A lot of cars call for it at 80k miles in the FSM, sometimes more, sometimes less, but an original at 140k, I would replace it, that, and that's cheap on the belt/labor, also, if your water pump is drove off of the timing chain/belt, have it replaced as well, just extra insurance, as it's usually a pain to get to an area like that.

A lot of cars call for it at 80k miles in the FSM, sometimes more, sometimes less, but an original at 140k, I would replace it, that, and that's cheap on the belt/labor, also, if your water pump is drove off of the timing chain/belt, have it replaced as well, just extra insurance, as it's usually a pain to get to an area like that.

The mechanic mentioned that to me, but he called me back after researching it and said my water pump on my particular car wasn't belt driven (or whatever) so unless I wanted to replace it "just because" it wasn't all that serious. He also mentioned if I need them, an entire replacement of all my belts would be 60 bucks, so if they're in bad shape I can opt to take on the 275 bill and get new timing + new all regular belts, or if they're aight just 215 @ timing belt/labor.

I hate to spend money when I don't NEED to but I hate to spend a chunk of savings because I didn't drop two benjamins when I had the chance...

never take a chance when it comes to timing belts i worked as a mechanic for 8 years before working in IT and you dont want to see the damage and engine gets from a broken timing belt lol

Trust me, this is something you HAVE to do before it goes bad, other wise, pistons will slam into valves, and with todays pistons being incredibly delicate, chances are you would destroy the piston before bending a valve. :p

But, a $300 investment is cheaper than a $1000 investment in the future to rebuild or replace.

Question - is it possible I am slowly causing damage by using an old timing belt? Or does the timing belt only cause damage when it ultimately snaps and breaks?

Question - is it possible I am slowly causing damage by using an old timing belt? Or does the timing belt only cause damage when it ultimately snaps and breaks?

no slow damage but if it breaks because its old and perished you will know about it yes

It only causes damage it it jumps to many teeth, which is common with a worn stretched out belt (possible with a chain, but less common), or when it fails entirely.

It only causes damage it it jumps to many teeth, which is common with a worn stretched out belt (possible with a chain, but less common), or when it fails entirely.

When it jumps across teeth, is it something you can feel? I would think (based on my experience with jumping chains on bicycles) that you would have a "Whoa, wtf was that?!" feeling if it happens...

It will be something you can notice, it usually results in a slight or moderate misfire/backfire, but if it skips enough, it would be as if the belt snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom