New Scion? Or used Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't like being confined in a car and would like to be able to haul things you might want to add a suv or truck to your search. A 4runner or Tacoma Double Cab would be great for hauling stuff and IMO feel more open than a car. If you wanted a larger truck a F150, Titan or Tundra would be a good choice.

Thing is, I don't want to make a habit of hauling stuff, I just want the ability to haul some stuff if I have to, lol. The Jeep is the closest thing to an SUV I was looking at, though there have been some others I thought wouldn't be bad.

Dunno. I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the help.

If you want to haul things, then a TJ (Wrangler 97-06) is not for you. They are smaller then most cars on the inside. (Only seat two in the back with maybe 1.5' behind the seat to tailgate). JK (Wrangler 2007-Current) 4 door would be a more viable option as it has a bit more room. My vote would be for a Toyota Tacoma Access Cab or Double Cab (Depending on inside size). Chevrolet Colorado is also a vehicle I am fond of.

I would still go with the Jeep TJ or JK as I a like to to climb and play in rocks and they both are built to do so coming with straight axles and lower gearing. (And you can strip them down to almost nothing). I am a bigger fan of 86-01 Cherokee's. They quit making them to make the Liberty :( sad day.

JK is right out. I can't stand the body style at all. Not to mention when I was pricing out a new standard Jeep, it was 24k before I added AC... And it's not like I need to haul a load of stuff all the time. My main concern is I can yank the back seat out, drop the top, and throw something in the back. Hauling stuff is a secondary thing, it's just the Jeep has more hauling capabilities than my Saturn.

Then a TJ would be what you are looking for :D. Great vehicles and you can get literally any part you can think of for them from bumpers to full custom suspension systems.

After reading your posts I sense that that the Jeep is what you really want. You just keep referring to positives of it over the Scion. Also anything off-road won't really be possible in the Scion. And besides, new cars lose a lot of value in the first couple years.

New car is just a bad idea, plus, all the scions save for the new tC are just ugly as sin.

I'm with hef, a nice previously leased Saab 9-3 is a lot of car for the money. **** the dealer over in Orange County has several brand new 2010's for about 22k...

Right, but I reeeaaallyy don't want a standard sedan.

I did some more searching and comparison, and found out through my insurance company, I could get the Scion (with features making it close to 20k MSRP) for under 17k, or the way I had it priced for around 15k. While the look of the xD on the outside isn't all that great, it's pretty nice on the inside, and that's all I really care about. No need to show off.

Also, as for depreciation, I was planning on getting GAP insurance. Off-road also isn't a huge concern for me, so not to worried about that.

But there's still time before I actually make a solid decision, so I'm going to keep doing research, test drive some stuff, and try to find a cheaper Jeep. The one I was looking at was a no go, but I found a 2006 wrangler unlimited with under 40k miles for 17k, closest I can find to a decent deal (for a jeep at least)...

if you go with the jeep have fun with those WV winds blowing through all the cracks. Oh and you can't really lock the doors so you've gotta be careful with that. The jeep in my opinion would be a cool second car that you can have for the summer and when you need it, but other than that they're bad on gas, loud, and semi-unsafe. I'd love to own a jeep, but i think it makes more sense to go with the scion, or another comparably priced car.

Have you looked at the Fiesta? It's kinda like the xD

The Fiesta is more expensive if I want a hatchback plus the same options on the Scion. I didn't even make it all the way and the discounted price was about 18,500.

Was thinking about going with a new car, then later on picking up a used older jeep for pleasure (when I can afford to). Dunno yet, but I have to test drive some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom