Name that noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well considering some cars have to be repaired there no matter what due to warranties, even if the part wouldn't be under warranty, to keep the car under it, it has to be fixed there.

Well I called the mechanic today. He's a guy that I've had work on my car before and I've always gotten good deals with him in comparison to some other places I tried. When explaining the symptoms they too said it sounded like a CV shaft. They said all said and done out the door it should run me about 200. I'm going to wait for another paycheck just to be safe and then take it in. I also have to get it inspected in September. But I'm waiting for my new door handle to come in since my insane strength managed to rip off the handle the other day. I know lack of handles = no passing inspection due to it being a safety issue. I bought one for 2 bucks online. <3 Google Shopping.

That's really cheap counting labor and the parts, and the plus side, they can get it done faster since they have done it before, guess the rate is really low around those parts.

That's really cheap counting labor and the parts, and the plus side, they can get it done faster since they have done it before, guess the rate is really low around those parts.

He's a mechanic for a fleet of vans that the company uses for plumbing/heating/ac/etc. It's just since it's him + another guy they get stuff done relatively quick, so they often accept a little bit of outside work too which coupled with cheaper prices also gets them exposure. You do a good job mechanically on John Doe's pickup truck, and when Mr. Doe's AC blows up in July, he'll probably call this place now. They do a good job, both in the shop and with the heating/ac/plumbing/etc.

I should call pep boys and see what they would want to do that kind of work. :p :p

Well, I got the car back. Turns out the left axle was bad, which was causing the clicking sound, and the right wheel bearing/hub was bad, causing the humming sound. That car is dead silent to drive now. It was kind of nice not riding bike to work for the 3rd day in a row. :p

Nice, glad we could give ya an idea, you got lucky on how cheap it was though :p

Well the 200 quote was for the axle alone. The wheel bearing and hub was a whole different story.

All said and done I paid 550, down from 620 that was his original quote when he first called me regarding the left axle/right wheel bearing/hub.

I still feel as though I got a good deal though. I talked to a buddy of mine who had a new wheel bearing/hub put in and that alone was just over 500. I got inspection/emissions/left axle/right bearing/hub. I'm no mechanic so I can't judge, but I figured it sounded good. Why the **** not? :p

Well the 200 quote was for the axle alone. The wheel bearing and hub was a whole different story.

All said and done I paid 550, down from 620 that was his original quote when he first called me regarding the left axle/right wheel bearing/hub.

I still feel as though I got a good deal though. I talked to a buddy of mine who had a new wheel bearing/hub put in and that alone was just over 500. I got inspection/emissions/left axle/right bearing/hub. I'm no mechanic so I can't judge, but I figured it sounded good. Why the **** not? :p

Not a terrible price on the fix, but the resale on those Hyundai's are pretty pathetic. My mom has a 2002 IIRC, and my 12 year old Saab is worth more according to KBB...

On my Saab at least you can get the Half axle's for $100 a pop and I know I need to redo most of my front end in the near future. (Struts, End links, control arms, half axles, and bushings.) All said and done with me doing all the work it'll probably come out to be about 800 in parts.

Not a terrible price on the fix, but the resale on those Hyundai's are pretty pathetic. My mom has a 2002 IIRC, and my 12 year old Saab is worth more according to KBB...

On my Saab at least you can get the Half axle's for $100 a pop and I know I need to redo most of my front end in the near future. (Struts, End links, control arms, half axles, and bushings.) All said and done with me doing all the work it'll probably come out to be about 800 in parts.

Resale value really means nothing to me, since I always buy a car with the intention of driving it until it's entirely too expensive to consider fixing. I feel like cars depreciate far quicker than I could ever get tired of it that I've never seen the point in me selling one.

Yeah vehicles are overpriced when new anyways.

Resale value comes in handy if you are looking to trade in after a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom