Looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
My wife and I are looking for her another vehicle. Gas is eating us alive for her Expedition. She is driving her mom's Cherokee right now and it is not any better.

Requirements:
Must be inexpensive (sub-$200 payments)
Must not be a piece of crap
Must not be a matchbox
Must be something my wife actually likes (hard to define as she just "knows" when she drives it)
Must be easy on insurance costs

Mainly looking at makes and models. New is good but we have no problem with used. I am not looking to buy from anyone here, just wanting to get some suggestions as what to look at/for.

We checked out Kia last week. She liked the Sorento but they are $20-$25K.

I really like the new focus and fusion...... Tghough no personal experience, but theyre pretty much the EU models brought over here.

VW jettas are cheap now...... under 20k. But with your behemouth of a G ride, ford might be your best trade in

I like the looks of them, too, and am partial to Fords so you have a good idea. We haven't looked into them yet but may this weekend. I am not hip on the local Ford dealership due to a bad past experience with them but I seriously doubt that particular dude is still there now.

I have thought about Nissan and Honda (as well as VW) but their price tags are more than we can stretch ourselves for. The payment will be coming from the difference in what we will be paying for gas (over $400 a month right now for her vehicle vs under $200 for mine).

I hear great things about KIA, though I hate KIA, I do like what I hear, which is usually great gas mileage, but, they are also, from what I have seen very basic.

Do you absolutely have to purchase new? What about slightly used under 80k miles? Also, Jeeps just suck for gas mileage, as much as the expedition.

Sometimes the KIA dealer here has a 2 for 222 special going. 2 new Kias, for $222 TOGETHER, which is $111 each, but it's been awhile since I have seen that deal going. Also, are you trading the ford in on the new car?

If I was looking for an affordable good quality car I would look at the following

Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus (new model only)
Ford Fusion (low mileage used ones seem to be very good deals)
Honda Civic
Honda Fit
Mazda 2
Mazda 3
Mazda 6
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Sonata (new model)
Hyundai Elantra (new model)
KIA Optima
KIA Forte

If gas mileage is a concern I would stay away from SUV's as you could end up in the same position in a couple of years if prices keep going up. I'd also stay away from VW, everyone I know who has one says they are a money pit.

We will be keeping the Expedition as a back up vehicle and for times when we need more room/passengers. Used is fine as we have never bought a new car.

Puddle, I like your list. The Mazdas I have seen so far have been out of our price range but I don't remember the moel. I think I will hit the sites of some of the local dealerships and see what is out there.

Just stay away from the mazdas that have rotary engines... Horrible engines.

If you are partial to Ford, look at the Fusion, Honda Civics are claimed to be reliable, I see them running all the time, but usually in horrible shape, but they manage to go still. I would think of the Honda FIT as a shoebox :-\

We will be keeping the Expedition as a back up vehicle and for times when we need more room/passengers. Used is fine as we have never bought a new car.

Puddle, I like your list. The Mazdas I have seen so far have been out of our price range but I don't remember the moel. I think I will hit the sites of some of the local dealerships and see what is out there.

I just checked Auto trader and the Mazda's do seem expensive in your area. The 2 and Fiesta are based on the same platform so i would just look at whichever of them is cheaper.

This seems to good to be true as it is well under book value but I thought it was worth posting anyways as the Carfax is clean.

Cars for Sale: 2009 Ford Fusion S in Knoxville, TN 37922: Sedan Details - 300034332 - AutoTrader.com

I saw several in that neighborhood. Looks like we will be checking them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom