Gas vs Diesel Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: might buy this truck, Thoughts?

Someone has a VERY well tuned F250, and by the sounds of it, has put some serious money into it, I know they don't make that stock.

I dunno, I've heard a lot of people make mention of this exact fact. A full sized diesel might get 10-12 mpg's while a gas might get 8 for the same amount of torque.

Diesels make more torque for sure. By principle they do. But 12mpg isn't good fuel econ no matter how you cut it. Diesels are used in small cars for the econ and the fact that for a similar sized gas engine you get more torque. They are offered in trucks because they make a lot of torque and that is important when pulling things. I have never seen a truck person boast about the fuel economy the get unless they were joking about how bad it was. If you want good econ then don't get a truck.

Now that you do mention it, people with bigger trucks don't care about MPG much as they gotta have that power there for there jobs. Now, there are smaller gas powered trucks, but they are incredibly slow, while getting decent gas mileage.

Not all trucks are gas guzzlers though.

The Chevy Silverado Hybrid gets 20mpg city and 23mpg highway....more than some sedans.

More than some yes, but, most newer sedans beat that, and especially if they are a hybrid. I just wonder what that trucks gas mileage is when it's pulling a load. :p

it totally depends on what job you are trying to do. Big and small trucks exist because there are people whose situation is best served by both. If you have a boat or large trailer then you really do need a turbo diesel to pull it effectively. But if you need a small utility vehicle that has room for you to put tools and supplies then a small gas powered truck is superior. Gas engines have much better driveability and a small gas truck will always get better fuel econ than any massive diesel truck.

One common problem around here is the older diesel trucks will be bought by young rednecks and they will run a really rich af mixture under max boost in order to purposely blow gobs of black smoke out the exhaust. They call it "rolling coal" or smoking people out, and it's really f***ing annoying. They are the new ricers, except I think they are worse. cause you could laugh at ricers and they were harmless, these guys go out of their way to mess with you. I'm a prime target in my benz and they have tried to smoke me more than once. The funny thing is, since I am running a good tune and have a well maintained and supercharged engine I can easily out run most of them and when they try to smoke me I make them look like fools. A buddy of mine has a sky redline with a GT35 and meth injection. They tried to do the same to him and he was gone before they knew what happened. making 357hp at the wheels in a 2900lb car will do that.

my buddys dad just picked up a f450 super duty king ranch. biggest truck ive ever seen. his dad says its actually not bad on fuel when not toeing anything. other then that they use it for there huge camper with a garage for 2 harleys on the back of it. but he did say its better on fuel then his 350 when toeing.

it totally depends on what job you are trying to do. Big and small trucks exist because there are people whose situation is best served by both. If you have a boat or large trailer then you really do need a turbo diesel to pull it effectively. But if you need a small utility vehicle that has room for you to put tools and supplies then a small gas powered truck is superior. Gas engines have much better driveability and a small gas truck will always get better fuel econ than any massive diesel truck.

One common problem around here is the older diesel trucks will be bought by young rednecks and they will run a really rich af mixture under max boost in order to purposely blow gobs of black smoke out the exhaust. They call it "rolling coal" or smoking people out, and it's really f***ing annoying. They are the new ricers, except I think they are worse. cause you could laugh at ricers and they were harmless, these guys go out of their way to mess with you. I'm a prime target in my benz and they have tried to smoke me more than once. The funny thing is, since I am running a good tune and have a well maintained and supercharged engine I can easily out run most of them and when they try to smoke me I make them look like fools. A buddy of mine has a sky redline with a GT35 and meth injection. They tried to do the same to him and he was gone before they knew what happened. making 357hp at the wheels in a 2900lb car will do that.

The last time a redneck did that, I called the police and they gave him a ticket for improper off road equipment use, was a really hefty fine, then gave him another one for careless driving, since then, red necks have stayed away from my car, it's when I see chunks of soot on my car that I end up calling police on them, as it does clog up my air filter rather badly.

The last time a redneck did that, I called the police and they gave him a ticket for improper off road equipment use, was a really hefty fine, then gave him another one for careless driving, since then, red necks have stayed away from my car, it's when I see chunks of soot on my car that I end up calling police on them, as it does clog up my air filter rather badly.

LOL - no kidding? I didn't realize that was illegal. I noticed some trucks have done it with the custom smoke stack exhaust but when I've seen it it's because the truck was trying to pass a car and had to kick to another gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom