Gas vs Diesel Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
If it wasn't for the fact the 2500 is a gas V8 I would guess he had done what a countless number of rednecks around here have done and run it rich to blow smoke and be a general pain. But it's gas so he didn't. IMO if you don't have something to pull then don't waste the gas with a truck. Get something you will use. The upside is it's a 6.0L vortec, which is a detuned and wimpy version of the LS in the corvette so it doe shave potential.

Re: might buy this truck, Thoughts?

Could be a gas guzzler. I now a few people that are selling there 4x4 at really cheap prices because they chew through too much petrol. Make sure it's a Diesel engine.

Could be a gas guzzler. I now a few people that are selling there 4x4 at really cheap prices because they chew through too much petrol. Make sure it's a Diesel engine.

Even taking it's gas mileage into account that truck is still worth a whole lot more than they are asking for assuming there is nothing wrong with it.

Diesel pickups aren't like Diesel golfs. They aren't there for the fuel econ, they are there for the torque. No such thing as good fuel econ in a full sized pickup.

Diesel pickups aren't like Diesel golfs. They aren't there for the fuel econ, they are there for the torque. No such thing as good fuel econ in a full sized pickup.

I dunno, I've heard a lot of people make mention of this exact fact. A full sized diesel might get 10-12 mpg's while a gas might get 8 for the same amount of torque.

The average gas mileage for a school bus, that's diesel is 7mpg, and they are far, far heavier than that truck.

^^^

Size of the vehicle matters, but so does the engine. A standard bluebird bus is powered by the Caterpillar C7, which is a 7.2L engine. The Duramax in those 2500's is a gas guzzing 6.6L engine.

Not sure what the standard engine in a school bus is around here, they are all made by International, so it's probably a Caterpillar engine or something that isn't typical -.-

A friend of mine has an F250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel, 4" lift and 35" tires. He's running about 500hp and 900 lb/ft tq. He get's about 18 on the highway, 15 in town, and 12 pulling his 26' toy hauler fifth wheel and 19'6'' wakeboard boat. I have a 5.4L V8 in my stock F150, and get about 17 on the highway, 13 in town, and about 12 when I pull my 18'5'' fiberglass boat. Pretty certain diesels get much better mileage than gas in trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom