Car Tires ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So the tires that came on my car 5yrs and 58k miles ago are finally a safety hazard, probably have been for a while.
I went in to the local AAA car care center for an oil change and they quoted me for 4 new tires.
They're a brand I've never heard of before, and can't seem to find reviews for, this is whats on the spec sheet though:

Captiol Sport
Size: 195/60R15
UTQGL: 420 A A
Service: 88H
Supplier: VC827
Min Rim Width: 5.5
Max Rim Width: 7.0
Outer Diameter: 24
Single Max Load lbs: 1235@44
Tread Depth: 10.00
all-season, steel belted

They're for an 05' Civic.
I don't really pay attention to my tires as long as they stay inflated and don't hydroplane too bad.
Just worried that I'm getting some junk rubber thats going to come flying off as soon as I hit 50mph+.

Thoughts?

Go to tirerack.com, look up your car, they have hundreds of tires with professional and personal reviews from many people, and ratings on EVERYTHING about a tire, how it handles on ice, snow, rain, dry roads, how well it handles turns, quiet they are and so on. I have never heard of capital sport either.

Neither have I. Another thing you can do is go visit a Discount Tire. They should have a multitiude of brands you should recognize for your particular car. Cost me 350 for 4 new Falken tires with warranty on a Cavalier.

I think its awesome you said brands I should recognize, yet I've never heard of Falken, I'm such a noob.
Seriously have no idea about tire brands, other than the ones that have made it into mainstream media.

I did some quick poking around on Tirerack.com and AAAtirestore.com.
Found some Uniroyal Tiger PawTouring @ 84.24ea ($337 x4) on AAA, free shipping to the AAA car care center.
Or Yokohama Avid Touring-S @ $260 x4 (~$308 shipped) on Tirerack.

Will poke around at local tire shops later, but what are your thoughts on the ones above?
Also, funnily enough the Captiol tires weren't on the AAA site either.

Falken tires are known as performance tires like Yokohama.

Never heard of Uniroyal before so idk, but Touring-S I have heard of. They are better tires for winter giving average to good performance in wet and dry conditions. My friend has had some on his WRX for a while now and they seem to be very grippy with a smooth ride. For 260, sounds like **** of a deal.

Checked the yellow pages, don't think there is a Discount Tire in my town :doh:

There is a Firestone Auto Care center though, and found what might work on their site.
Ever heard of the Firestone Firehawk GT? $70ea ($280 x4), I guess thats if they have them on-site.
Hopefully I'd get some sort of deal for buying 4 and having them installed there...

Trying not to think of the extra costs to install and dispose that will go along with all of this.
Also, the guy at AAA said I'll probably want an FEA (front-end alignment?) as well once they're on.

With every tire renewal you want to make sure they are balanced and all that jazz. Alignment check isn't a bad idea either if you haven't done so since you got the car.

I avoid Firestone tires like the plague because of the exploding incident, but that is just me being a tad paranoid and picky. I would get other opinions off of those tires (by here, or Google) before taking my paranoid response on those lol.

I kind of hate taking my wheels somewhere else to get my tires changed because I like having spares, but without my dad here it is kind of hard. He had the tire machine and I can't afford one.

Looked at reviews of those Firestones, apparently they are quite loud.

I think those Yokohamas are going to be my best bet @ $77 a pop shipped, can't seem to find anything local for a better deal.
Thanks a ton for the input PP, +rep.

Those yokohamas are good tires for an average driver I would think, I personally always bought higher end bridgestone tires, at around $190 each XD

Looked at reviews of those Firestones, apparently they are quite loud.

I think those Yokohamas are going to be my best bet @ $77 a pop shipped, can't seem to find anything local for a better deal.
Thanks a ton for the input PP, +rep.
No prob. As my dad always said, it is more important to stop and handle before going fast. I live by that with vehicles. I like a good suspension and good tires at all costs.

Those yokohamas are good tires for an average driver I would think, I personally always bought higher end bridgestone tires, at around $190 each XD
I found some nice Bridgestone tires for my truck but they are over 200 a pop. I can't see putting tires like those on stock rims so wont happen any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom