Are WD media players a thing of the past? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Multimedia
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Are WD media players a thing of the past?

I keep running into the same problems with every major video project.

Most recently I lost my TB hard drive, went and bought a new 4 TB which the media player will not read. Some forums say that the hard drive is too large for the player to detect.

A lot of times I have videos that are also not supported by this media player.

Im looking for a quick simple solution.

Likely I could just convert the files, and just buy a smaller hard drive but Im starting to think that file types and technology have surpassed this delightful little piracy device.

I need a surefire means of PLAYING my videos on either dumb or smart TVs. Am very open to suggestions.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Are WD media players a thing of the past?

Plex or Emby media server running on your PC. Then you can download the apps onto your devices (if supported...Plex has more widespread support than Emby at the moment). For dumb TV's, use something like a Roku, FireTV/FireTV Stick, or Chromecast and play the videos through one of those devices.

They support transcoding at either the server or letting the devices play the files natively, if they support the codec used.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Default Re: Are WD media players a thing of the past?

I have a Plex server and use Roku's attached to various TVs thru out the house. I am very happy with this setup.

I can access my Plex server from the Rokus as said, but can also access from PC/laptop, tablet or phone, from wherever I have an internet connection. There are Plex clients available for many different platforms.

Tags
media players, movies, torrents, western digital