Need questions answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotProduct

Beta member
I'm looking for some questions about GPS (Yes, Global Positioning System) answered...

Background info: I need a gps receiver (well many) that can be individually located on a map

1) Can many gps receievers be individually located and distinguished from one another? (does each receiever send off a different signal or tracked based on individual serial numbers)
2) Who pays for the costs of using satellites to locate gps receievers?
3) Is there mapping software that gps receievers can be tracked on?
4) What components must be included to make up a gps product that can be tracked through satellite and located on a computerized mapping software program?
5)Whats the smallest gps receiever capable of having long battery life, antenna, and being capable of meeting the needs of what has been listed on this so far?
6) Do you know of any products similar to this on the market? links please

Someone impress me! and provide as many answers as you are capable of!

Thanks alot appreciate it!

Re: NEED QUESTIONS ANSWERED, SOMEONE SMART HELP

1. Yes. How else would the multitude of GPS devices that are already out in the world right now be able to operate? If they couldnt be distinguished from one another you would not get the directions that you asked for but could get one of many millions that others have asked for. So yes there is tracking involved most likely to the point of MAC addresses that are used for PC's.

2. We do as users. You dont really think that a map update costs $100? Every year. The costs for those people who bought the early GPS units pay for the satellites with the purchase of the map updates. Now they have lifetime updates with the cost of the unit, but each unit costs more now to purchase than before. A unit that used to cost $59 now costs $99 cause of such features. They sell more and get the money needed to cover the costs.

3. Not publicly available.

4. That is something that you would have to contact Garmin, Magellin, TomTom or a GPS manufacturer to find out. Us as end users do not have that kind of in depth knowledge to know what is put into it. Yeah we can use Google Maps, but no way to know exactly how it can be done.

5. Any of the wrist ones that you see available for hikers/hunters.

6. There are way to many links to post. All you need to do is search for hikers GPS or even check out the new iPod Nano with the Wrist Band accessory. GPS on your wrist. No links needed for things that can be found in just about every retail store in the world.

Thank you for your response KSoD, Much of your response came useful, much appreciated.

The product I am developing is not geared towards GPS navigation such as that of Garmin and others. Rather I am more interested in the capability of a raw gps receiver component itself, the standalone receiver that uses signal with satellitles to pinpoint its location on a map similar to that of GoogleMaps. On GoogleMaps you have the ability to search an input such as a Restaurant and receive the location of the closest one. I want to be able to search the serial number or a distinguishable characteristic of an individual GPS receiver (of many) into a GoogleMap-like software and have the software pinpoint its location. These receievers would be mass-produced all identical but most be distinguished from one another on this mapping software. Running a software program with these gps receievers sounds expensive, would I incur the expenses of constantly signalling satellites, or are satellites a public service? Essentially with these questions answered, and the confirmation that this technology exists, I am looking for the receiever capable of this

Any input or answers from any of you fellow techies to help me better understand would be much appreciated,

hit me with more responses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom