extreme vintage tech

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i don't even know what jogged my ancient memory back to this. but i got thinking about the old days. i had one of these back then ( Carlson Stromberg ASR-433 Integrated Tube Amplifier Black Faceplate | eBay ) hooked up to an ancient Sony reel to reel tape deck (similar to this https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/old-tape-analog-recorder-reel-suitcase-84756502 ), and 4 speakers (that i have not a clue as to what 2 of them were), 2 of them, were from the Sony "portable" tape deck, that only weighed like 40 pounds! no transistors in any of that stuff, ALL tube technology. the receiver was a newer Tandy (Radio Shack) that was new enough to actually have transistors. but still old enough to have an analog tuner that had to be cleaned every year or so. i cant even guess how many hundreds of hours i spent making custom tapes from the radio. later, when i got a car, i made lots of 8 track tapes from the reel to reel recordings. the big thing back then was "Mind Blower" 6x9 speakers for the car. and yep, i had a set. it is amazing how far things have come in the last 50 years. funny thing is, that all of my stereo equipment is considered ancient by today's standards. all of it came from the late 1980's. sadly, it hasn't been used in roughly 4 or 5 years. i guess i should get it out of the cabinet, blow the 1/2" of dust off from the innards, and see if it still works.

Back
Top Bottom