European Devices

zeerocoull

Beta member
Good Evening!

Anybody have any idea what I need to plug in a European VCR in Canada? I bought a cheap prong adapter, but it's not working as suspected. I've googled the hell out of it, but I can't seem to find any answers. Is there a reasonably priced converter that will do the job?

Sorry for the delayed response. Indeed, the problem was no power, but I figured out I needed a transformer to convert my power to European specs. The problem now is that it has power, but will not accept a cassette. It powers on when the cassette is pushed in, but then immediately powers off and wont accept the tape.

The transformer you may have gotten is a step down type. I.E. taking 220V down to 120V. Canada and the US have the same power type (120V/60Hz)

So if you don't have a step UP transformer (I.E. 120V to 220V) the device will "see" power but not be able to use it. I had the same issue when I was stationed in Germany many years ago. Most of the cheap transformers you can buy on Amazon or ebay, etc... are pretty much for portable use. If you don't want to go out and buy new electronics, you may want to look into the whole room versions.

Most of the ones I had were, 2/3K watts. I also had one that was a duel purpose 5K watt. (step UP and DOWN)

I might do some research, but here is a link to look at what I'm talking about.

https://voltage-converter-transformers.com/collections/step-down-voltage-transformer-converter

I agree with PP MGuire. The adapters usually cost more than $50 if they have the ability to transform the power. When I lived overseas I brought my American computer with me and never bought one of those things because the AC adapter says it's good for up to 240. I threw it away when I realized it was swelling. I know you're going in the other direction but best to use devices with the power supply was meant to be used with it.

Back
Top Bottom