Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Wine is preinstalled on some distros the thing is that it uses some Windows things to get those games working and it doesnt fall under the GPL license to have those things be installed by default for a big name distro like Ubuntu.

I mean Ubuntu doesnt even have Flash installed by default. Even the free one. Some Codecs are not included cause they dont fall under the GPL license. I dont see Ubuntu trying to have some Windows emulation included when they wont include all codecs. Which are far less likely to have a issue with getting permission to use than something to run a windows game.

XP doesn't have Flash installed by default.
Vista doesn't have Flash installed by default.

Although it is unfortunate that Ubuntu doesn't include those certain things by default, I can see why they do it, due to the ridiculous and outright laughable laws that exist on mp3 format and whatnot. But fortunately someone came up with the bright idea of 1 neat installable package. That quick you have support for what you need. It's hardly a nuisance when you consider the lack of cost and what you get out of something like Ubuntu. I mean, after all, copying and pasting really isn't hard. :)

But ultimately, what Brinson said is the nature of the game: it's not about Ubuntu supporting games. It's about games supporting Ubuntu.

Yes your right. Windows doesnt come with Flash either. But then again M$ doesnt have the right to include the free version of it either. Which was designed specifically for Linux so why wouldnt Ubuntu at least include that?

Ubuntu will not have anything install by default that doesnt fall under the GPL and can be used freely and openly. Support for Windows games does not fall under that category.

Yes what Brinson said is also right as well. Games should support Linux.

Yes your right. Windows doesnt come with Flash either. But then again M$ doesnt have the right to include the free version of it either. Which was designed specifically for Linux so why wouldnt Ubuntu at least include that?

Audacity is free/OS. Why doesn't Windows have that installed by default? Maybe some people will use it.

Firefox is free/OS. When I installed Vista I don't remember seeing it.

Thunderbird is also free/OS. Why was Vista lacking it?

The standpoint of "Why doesn't Ubuntu include this free piece of software" can directly reflect Windows and Macintosh alike. I understand your point, but in actuality it can be argued either way.

Audacity is free/OS. Why doesn't Windows have that installed by default? Maybe some people will use it.
Firefox is free/OS. When I installed Vista I don't remember seeing it.
Thunderbird is also free/OS. Why was Vista lacking it?
The standpoint of "Why doesn't Ubuntu include this free piece of software" can directly reflect Windows and Macintosh alike. I understand your point, but in actuality it can be argued either way.

If those programs were installed by default that would be monopolisation of the market which windows have previously been called out over. Let alone that Mozilla is a windows competitor...

If those programs were installed by default that would be monopolisation of the market which windows have previously been called out over. Let alone that Mozilla is a windows competitor...

Even still, my point remains. Arguing that Ubuntu doesn't come with XYZ software installed by default is the same as arguing why Windows doesn't come with XYZ software installed by default.

Even still, my point remains. Arguing that Ubuntu doesn't come with XYZ software installed by default is the same as arguing why Windows doesn't come with XYZ software installed by default.

There is so much open source software what makes you think that Windows or ubuntu should automatically install such things? As I read recently windows provides a ceiling and a floor whilst linux provides an optional 4 walls its completely dynamic and everything is changeable if you so wish.

There is so much open source software what makes you think that Windows or ubuntu should automatically install such things? As I read recently windows provides a ceiling and a floor whilst linux provides an optional 4 walls its completely dynamic and everything is changeable if you so wish.

Well now we've got ourselves a loop have we not? This thing started with Mak wondering why certain software is not included with ubuntu, Jayce noted that Windows does not supply such software either and now we are asking why such things should be included.
When it comes down to it for better or for worse ubuntu comes with a lot more software than windows.

Um, dude... I'm not. That's my point. Re-read my posts and you'll see my point was the exact opposite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom