Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope is now out and read for you to download. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.

God i wish they would stop giving them stupid release names, I think it's OK for Alpha or Beta but not for final end release.

Rumor has it that the "S" release will be Smart*** Saxon :p
frank_out_of_shameless.jpg

Your a funny guy.

:p

Does anyone know if this ubuntu will support gaming?

They all support games for Linux. If you mean games that you can use in Windows. That will NEVER happen.

As it wouldnt be fall under the GPL License that they use to distribute the software. So you will always have to find ways to install those games yourself.

They all support games for Linux. If you mean games that you can use in Windows. That will NEVER happen.

As it wouldnt be fall under the GPL License that they use to distribute the software. So you will always have to find ways to install those games yourself.

Why wouldn't it happen? Ubuntu may be open source, but if it costs 40 dollars for Doom on Windows and 40 dollars for Doom on Ubuntu, I see no problem with this and don't see why Ubuntu's native license would effect end software.

After all, Quake already did it. It could happen. :)

While Wine is preinstalled on some distros the thing is that it uses some Windows things to get those games working and it doesnt fall under the GPL license to have those things be installed by default for a big name distro like Ubuntu.

I mean Ubuntu doesnt even have Flash installed by default. Even the free one. Some Codecs are not included cause they dont fall under the GPL license. I dont see Ubuntu trying to have some Windows emulation included when they wont include all codecs. Which are far less likely to have a issue with getting permission to use than something to run a windows game.

You can't distribute games with Linux because they are neither free or open source. You cannot distribute linux with microsoft componants such as direct x because they are not open source. The reason some codecs (most notably mp*) are not distributed with linux is not because of copyright - there opensource implementations of these codecs. The reason is because of software patents (the evil twin of copyright) luckily for me these do not apply to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom