Scan your Linux machine for viruses with ClamTk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Scan your Linux machine for viruses with ClamTk

What do you mean – “scan your Linux machine for viruses”? Linux is immune to viruses right? Well…mostly. Even though a proof of concept virus has been discussed, and nothing has actually made it into the wild…you still have email on your system. Some of that email could easily make its way (by way of forward for example) to another, non-Linux, machine. Because of that alone you should employ a virus scanner on ALL of your machines (Linux, Mac, Windows…)
For Linux, ClamAV is one of the best virus scanners. And not only is ClamAV one of the best, it also has a great front-end for users who prefer to not have to deal with command line tools. That front-end? ClamTk. In this article you will learn how to install and use ClamTk to keep your Linux box virus free. Your friends and co-workers might thank you in the end.

Absolutely recommend this.

My Linux computer is a samba file server as well. Everybody's Windows box backs up to my system every night. Out of curiosity, I did a scan of my entire system just two days ago (which took quite a few hours to scan 1.5TB of space recursively) but I dug up 8 viruses. As a result, I can go to these machines and do a full scan there, so next time they back up they don't put their viruses back on my machine.

Sure, Windows viruses can't effect your Linux box, but a virus is still a file. And no matter what platform you have, if you can save files to your system, you can in essence save viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom