'Linux Ignored, Not Immune,' Says Hacker Contest Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I understand what you're saying. And I agree with you, due to windows' more frequent attacks it appears as if windows is weakly secured, when in reality it's pretty **** secure. I understand that. But we tested all kinds of this stuff when I was still in school. I have a degree in cyber security, so naturally, we have to know how to hack in order to prevent it. I'm telling you my opinion, not from a biased point of view, but in my experience in my field, Linux definitely does have better robustness. Does that mean XP doesn't? **** no! I actually like XP. Wish I could say the same for Vista, but that's something I refuse to debate about anymore. Especially here.

And yes, I know all about the windows customizing sites. They are littered on google. I know, I know, I've been through it all. But... in my opinion, Linux definitely takes the cake on this one. I know I sound like one **** of a biased *******, and so be it if I do, but I've used windows for over a decade. I've used Linux for less than 2 years. It's not like I started out with Linux and it's all I swear by with a closed minded point of view.

Windows gets attacked more frequently than Linux, I don't care why. I also don't care what would happen if everyone used Linux, because everyone doesn't.

And Mak, go into Synaptic and change your update settings if you don't like them (Settings > Repositories > Updates). I have mine set to "Weekly" and "Only Notify."

You can't compare linux to windows.. its completely different. I get around 100 updates A DAY with linux.. windows? likely 1 every 2-3 weeks. Linux is always changing and if anything is found wrong it gets fixed quickly.

Windows.. meh, it gets updated by maybe a few hundred very talented people. Linux on the other hand, is updated and improved by anybody that wants to help. Talk to anyone that knows much about linux and they could easily explain to you why linux is a far better OS in terms of how it works. But I'm not an expert so "meh"

yes, i know they are different is terms of how the code is used/handled/etc however they still have the same purpose - provide end user functionality.

in terms of having to patch flaws...linux obviestly has more problems if your getting that many a day. people will release the FIX for it...they will not do any harm to it.
if any of those flaws were not fixed but used malicously instead, there would be a problem.

imo
people hack linux and patch it.
people crack windows and exploit it.
if people cracked linux then there would be problems as well.

Disagreed. From personal experience, as well as common logic, I'm siding with the fact that Linux updates as frequently as they do to maintain a solid OS. There's exploits for Windows that have been out there for a long time. Months pass at times with no fix. Not everything is magically fixed on the second tuesday or whatever of every month. ;)

But in the end, it's about what you prefer. I prefer each OS for different reasons... but I still have my own personal findings to throw out here in my opinion, as seen above.

Oh, and you don't always have to restart RIGHT when the update goes through. I always let it sit there till I'm done, then I reboot. Oh, and Windows does the same thing, too. So, again, it's not a valid statement to hold against Linux only.

Ya but once it finishes installing those updates... and you click "later" it pops up every 5-10 mins with "HEY BUDDY, U GOTTA RESTART!"

Not too annoying though, I just have to restart.

Why did people just not try at some parts of this competition? That sounds lazy, lol.

lol.. did u guys know that it only takes about to seconds to restart your xorg? Try CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.

Restarts in literally 2-3 seconds.

Last time i tried that it took me out of my GUI and i couldnt get back in. I do not know the commands enough to get myself back in from a command prompt. So that method is not for beginners.

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibson

I dont remember what the key combo was. But it took me out of the GUI and i was lost after that. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom