Installing Ubuntu Server 9.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Installing Ubuntu Server 9.04

Recently a friend requested I help him with an installation of Ubuntu Server. Since he was completely new to the process of installing Linux (and the topic is a winner anyway) I thought it would be smart to walk through the process of installing a Ubuntu Server, step by step, here on Ghacks.
Ubuntu Server is, in my experience, one of the finest servers on the Linux landscape. This server distribution can be used for just about any server needs. But one thing to be warned about – it is headless. With the Ubuntu server you can have just about any server package you can think of, but don't expect a GUI to help you along. And due to its headless nature, it is faster than a desktop-based counterpart. But what is it like to install?
Let's find out.

I always thought it'd be cool to use a little bit of both, in terms of a server with/without a GUI... imagine the GUI being 1 huge process that isn't system critical to run, but you can launch it from within the terminal to take over main control. As you make adjustments, the GUI of course writes the changes to the corresponding config files as normal. But then it'd be cool to kill off the GUI process when you're done, therefore leaving you with little overhead yet you had the added benefits of the GUI.

I know I really liked having a GUI in linux for editing config files, such as Samba. It was so much harder for me to try and edit config files on my own to learn. I learned so much quicker from using a GUI to set up Samba, but then I'd check the config file to see what exactly the GUI changed. I picked it up so quick that editing config files is a breeze now. I'm sure it'd be equally nice in a server environment too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom