Install Internet Explorer on Linux with IEs4Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Install Internet Explorer on Linux with IEs4Linux

Believe it or not, there is sometimes a need to have Internet Explorer available. Some web designers like to be able to to test their sites with all possible browsers. Some websites are poorly designed and will only function properly in Internet Explorer. So many designers (and users) need to have this browser available. If you use Linux there are a couple of possibilities. You could run Internet Explorer in a Virtual Machine (See my article “Installing and configuraing VirtualBox for virtual OSes“) or you could install Wine and IEs4Linux.
In this article we will deal with installing Internet Explorer with the help of Wine and IEs4Linux. The installation is not difficult and in the end you should have ever possible browser available to you for all your testing needs. Even though this installation will require the use of WINE you will not have to go through any complicated WINE set up. In fact the most difficult aspect of this setup is downloading and running a script that will take care of the most difficult part of the installation for you.

Are there even any sites that exist that don't work in Firefox? I hear there's some and I'd like to use them personally to see what the differences are. To date - If anything, Firefox is the more user friendly one in terms of compatibility. But I'd like to see some of these IE friendlier sites out there...

IETab doesn't work in Linux (says its not compatible with Linux versions of FF, only Windows versions). I've installed IEs4Linuix on Ubuntu before just for laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom