Edit Linux man pages with gmanedit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Edit Linux man pages with gmanedit

I can't tell you how many times I have used a man page only to find either an error (due to author not updating) or that the man page itself was confusing and needing my own personal tweaking. Now, if you are unsure as to what a man page is, you should know that Linux is installed with numerous help files for just about every command and/or program installed on your machine. To access a man (short for “manual”) page you would simply issue the command man APPLICATION
Where APPLICATION is the name of the command or application you want to run.
Of course man pages are written in a format called troff. It's not overly complicated and something you can easily get used to. But some times you don't need to know the format to make a few minor changes. I have used this system many times to make notes in man pages (so when/if I have to refer back to them I don't have to depend upon a fading memory) that aren't necessary for all users (otherwise I would submit them to the maintainer). Now, after reading this article (and thanks to gmanedit), you will be able to edit your Linux man pages as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom