Easily extend Nagios' functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Easily extend Nagios' functionality

My last article described how to “Quickly install Nagios on Ubunut“. That article had you up and running with the powerful open source network monitoring tool, but not much more. If you really want to make Nagios useful you have to do a bit of work. Some might see this work as too time consuming and or challenging. I can understand that on a large network. Because Nagios can not do auto-discovery, it is up to the admin to configure any device to be monitored. Naturally no admin is going to want to monitor every single device on their network. That works out okay with Nagios. Now, if you are interested in monitoring every single device, on a larger network, you will either need to get clever with some scripting to search out your devices (and track down their associated addresses) or you will need to move on to a different solution.
But for those who only need to monitor a few devices, configuring Nagios to do so is actually quite simple. In this article I am going to show you a few configurations to handle and then how to add devices and checks for your installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom