Convert Youtube videos to audio in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source Convert Youtube videos to audio in Linux

After reading Martin's fine article “Download Youtube Videos” today, I had to give a bit of a Linux perspective and show how to do this in the Linux operating system. Inititially I assumed this would have to be done via the command line, because that is how I have always done conversions. But I have found that many people do not like having to do such tasks from the command line. So I sat out to find a good (and by “good” I mean easy). It didn't take long to find, it didn't take long to install, and it didn't take too long to get working the way I wanted (which means including mp3 support).
The tool I eventually settled upon is Elltube. Of all the available tools this was the easiest to install, get working, and the most reliable. With this tool you will find download and converting Youtube videos a nobrainer. There is only one small hitch. If you want to add mp3 support you will have to do some extra installation (In this case it means installing unsupported files). The distribution I will use for this tutorial is Ubuntu 9.04. I will illustrate converting videos into audio-only mp3 format. This is the format that causes issues with most users due to the necessary installation of mp3-supporting libraries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom