Connect to your Samba server from Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Connect to your Samba server from Linux

I have written a few articles on Samba here on Ghacks. And most people know how to connect to Samba shares via Windows. Generally speaking (when all is set up correctly) it's just a matter of opening up Explorer and entering \\ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA_SERVER\SHARENAME to get to your Samba shares. But what about in Linux? How do you go about connecting to Samba shares with the same operating system that is running the Samba server?
One would think that an easy task. It actually is, once you know how it is done. And in this article I am going to show you two different ways of making the connection to your Samba server. You will need to have a working knowledge of how the Samba server is set up as well as a username/password configured on the Samba server. There are also a few steps to take on the desktop for one certain method of connection.
The two methods I will describe are: Using GNOME's Connect To Server dialog and the command line. The latter will be used to show you how to set up auto mounting for Samba.

I don't mean to jack the thread but I have a question directly relating to this topic that might generate some discussion to help others as well.

In short - I have 2 Ubuntu machines. Both have Samba installed. Both can connect to each other's shares by going to places - network - browsing to server - dbl click - login.

My buddy has 2 Ubuntu machines (though one is server edition). Both have Samba installed. An XP computer can connect to the Ubuntu Server (Samba) computer, but his Ubuntu Jaunty laptop cannot.

What needs to be installed in order for Ubuntu to communicate with another Ubuntu box with Samba shares? Mine simply has Samba installed and it works. I'm not sure what else to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom