Add Screenlets to make your Linux desktop more useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Add Screenlets to make your Linux desktop more useful

If you spend as much time on the Linux desktop as I do, having small applets available for specific tasks can make your life that much easier. If you use the KDE 4.x desktop you will be familiar with Widgets. These are very handy, but are only available to KDE. For the GNOME users there is an application called Screenlets that serves the same function as the KDE widgets. Screenlets are written in Python, so if you know the language most likely you can create your very own desktop tools.
Screenlets take up very little in the resources department, are very unobtrusive on the desktop, and are user-customizable. The amount of available screenlets is fairly numerous so you should be able to find plenty to serve you. In this article you will learn how to install the Screenlets application, add screenlets, and customize screenlets.

Are there any for fluxbox, fvwm-crystal,...I remember booting into one live CD I can not remember which maybe Pentoo and it had enlightment GUI with some nice widgets. I am also wondering because I have been thinking about the benefits of installing such a linux over some mainstream one and trying to get the widgets on my prefered graphical environment. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom