XP won't launch camera wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgarden

Solid State Member
I have a problem where my computer does not automatically launch the camera wizard (the feature to download pictures off a camera). The computer is running XP Pro (SP1 and all the latest updates). The camera is a Minolta F100. When I connect the camera via USB and turn it on, the computer makes a sound indicating the connection. In the device manager it indicates the camera as an additional drive (removable) and correclty labels it the Minolta f100. Lower in the list it indicates a USB Mass Storage device (apparently both the removable drive and the mass storage device are referring to the camera). I have removed both drivers and done shut downs of the computer. Upon reattaching the camera, XP recognizes the device and reinstalls the drivers. I have set up auto play to function...all to no avail.

The weird thing is that this function has worked perfect for the last 6 mos (since I got this computer). All of a sudden it has stopped working. I have made no known changes to the computer or the camera.

TIA

sometimes the camara need to be set at mass storage device check your camara mine is a eq concord 1300 and i will be recognise as web cam but not as storage
do you use it to web cam?
does it have that capabilitie?

It is not used as a web cam. I do not know where it needs to be set. I do know that when it is connected and turned on (camera) the device mgr indicates it under "drives" and then again in "USB mass storage"

Like I said this thing worked for 6 mos, then all of a sudden I plug it in today and it doesn't work.

Can you see the camera listed when you open 'My Computer'? If so, double click on the camera icon and you should get a list of options regarding what you want to do with the camera... ie: download pictures from camera.

Sometimes when I plug in my camera the computer will not automatically bring up the to do options nor will it auto transfer the images so I just go to My Computer and double click on my camera.

If your camera is not showing up in My Computer and you have it plugged in and the power turned on then I would just re-install the camera drivers. Make sure you go to the Minolta web site and verify you have the latest drivers for your camera.

Good luck!

The camera indeed indicates on "my computer" when it is plugged in. I have no drivers installed from Minolta, as they are not needed with XP (that is the beauty of XP - it is supposed to automatically bring up the screen asking you what you want to do with the pictures as soon as the camera is plugged in).

As I said in an earlier post, it worked the way XP is suppose to work for many months, until Sunday, when it stopped working. I have no idea what changed in my computer (nothing I did).

Any ideas?

I guess I'm not sure what the problem is then??? If you can see your camera in "My Computer" then you should be able to access your pictures....

What exactly do you want to happen when you plug in your camera and turn it on? Do you want the picutures to transfer automatically?

Maybe you should look into getting the proper drivers for your camera from Minolta. I'm sure Windows XP does not come pre installed with Minolta drivers.

What I want to happen (and what has happened for the last 6 mos up until yesterday)...is when you plug in the camera, XP to automatically launch the camera wizard. The camera wizard is a screen which gives you the option of uploading your pics to a folder, printing pics, emailing pics, etc.

You do NOT need the specific cameras drivers for this to work (one of the benefits/features of XP).

I know I can do it manually, but I want it to work the way it is suppose to, and the way it has worked in the past.

If I install the Minolta drivers I believe it will override the XP features (which aren't working right now for some reason).

I did not do any mods to my PC and as such can not figure out why the feature has stopped functioning.

I am not looking for a work around or another way to upload pics....I want XP to work the way it is suppose to.

TIA for any help.

For some reason, the only restore point I have is one from yesterday (after the problem started) when I did a windows update to make sure I wasn't missing any crucial/new files that could have been causing the problem.

Any other ideas?

TIA

Run a check disk to make sure there are no problems with files being corrupt or missing.

To run a check disk (easy way to explain).

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> "Command Prompt"

Type in exactly (assumes your main drive is C:\ (drive that contains C:\WINDOWS\):

chkdsk /f

It will schedule it for next restart if you press y. Then simply restart your computer and allow the check disk utility to scan your drive.

Check disk utility only works when you are not in Windows, to fix the files you must not be using them, i.e. not in Windows.

This usually works if you have been doing something for months fine and then it stops working all of a sudden.

Hope it works.

Thanks for the idea, but the chkdsk/f did not work. I have even reinstalled XP. But nothing seems to change.

More ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom