X-Fi Xtreme Music?? Enough Plugs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

You can hook everything up in one of the following 2 configurations:
  • Microphone + Stereo Speakers
  • Microphone + Headphones

...You can't however have Stereo Speaker and Headphones connected at the same time along with the Microphone in a conventional manner...but you could have audio outputted to both the speakers and headphones if speaker settings is set to 4.1 (although 4.1 is not intended to be used this way and I advise not to use this setup).

...Just unplug and swap over the speaker and headphone jack instead to your preference.

Hello,

You could get a splitter like this...

aud3000zo6.jpg

or this...

p5113008mainspkj8.jpg

However they can degrade the quality of the audio.

Plus, headphones and speakers individually have certain optimal volume levels which are needed to recieve loud enough sound. This will be difficult to achieve if you've plugged both headphones and stereo speakers into the PC at the same time, using a 3.5mm splitter.

...Plus, you'll risk blowing the drivers on your headphones in this configuration when, for example, you've got both plugged in, and you raise the volume on your PC for sound to come out of your stereo speakers louder. Not to mention, you'll probably hear a distorted hissing sound emitting from your headphones when using your stereo speakers, due to the high volume.

...Is it that you want to recieve audio in both the headphones and stereo speakers at the same time...or is it that you don't want to have to constantly unplug and plug in headphones and speakers when you need them?

My advice. Have either the stereo speakers or headphones plugged in, but not both, in any configuration you choose to use. It's just not practical nor conventional.

Sound card manufacturers expect consumers only to use only one medium for outputting sound, and this does make sense.

However, if you are desperate, I strongly suggest you invest in one of these, or similar:

ah011nn5.jpg

...It's an Audio Hub. I haven't seen many of these, apart from the one pictured above...but I'm sure there are plenty on the Internet.

It's basically a hub where you can connect various sound output and input devices into, and use an integrated switch to select an output. It doesn't split the audio, but switches from one output to another, meaning no audio degredation. You can get it from here: http://www.zipstorage.com/muauhub.html and other places on the net if you search.

Here's another from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...udio+switch&kw=audio+switch&parentPage=search

Hello,

In my opinion, tin or gold connectors...it doesn't really matter. Most of the cheap connectors, and even sometimes expensive connectors, have gold plating which is of low quality.

Generally speaking, good quality cables with good gold plating on the connector helps to minimise corrosion. Really, what your looking for in good quality cables is good shielding from interferance, and most particularly, Oxygen Free Copper cables - though these usually have gold plated connectors. OFC cables are made of purer copper and so retain the signal better.

However, whatever cables you decide to get, you shouldn't mix tin connectors with gold connectors (that is, don't plug for example, headphones with a gold connector, into a soundcard which has tin sockets), because this encourages corrosion).

To sum it up...gold or tin, I'd just get the cheapest! You probably won't notice much of a difference anyway.

well i would prolly get gold connectors anyway, they look better ;)

Most of my connectors are gold, and mysound card of course is gold, so i guess i will continue the tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom