X-fi xtreme gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleener

Beta member
I've been using my xtremegamer on xp sp3 for a while without issue. For a time frame, I've used it since sp2's debut and perhaps before.

Within the last two weeks to one week, all the sound in my system has been shutting off. The sound re-enabled. However, it seems the lack of sound has been lasting longer as the problem continues.

Before the sound re-enables, I can hear a scratchy fading in and out sound as if I was poking my plug in and out of the jack. Also, before the sound re-enables, I sometimes hear everything but it is very quiet. Then, the volume bursts back to normal.

Restarting while the sound isn't working does not help. Reinstalling the drivers did not help. Trying a different headset did not work. It's not one of those silly problems either where the volume is muted and whatnot. Otherwise, the sound would not fix itself while I do nothing.

Could it be my soundcard or motherboard? Malware? Software conflict?

I do have an onboard soundcard. I'm going to enable it and see if it works. This could clue in if it's malware.

The worsening conditions and ineffective reboots make me think my soundcard is dying. If so, what soundcard would you recommend? Is EAX3-5 worth the nonsupport and expensive creative cards that, I've heard, are beaten in quality by moderately priced competition?

If this affects a soundcard's choice: I listen to music, watch TV shows, watch movies, play counterstrike-source, play Oblivion, and play rome: total war. Past my arsenal of dated games, I do dabble in the latest and greatest here and there. I must to show off the strength of my 280gtx i7 system to myself :D.

well, have you made sure the card isint falling out of the slot. try reseating it. get the latest creative drivers too.

The day I posted this, I installed new motherboard bios and cleared my cmos chip (per instruction). I'm not sure which or if both did it, but I haven't had fading sound since!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom