writing a dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

artyman

Baseband Member
Hi all!

I need help burning a dvd, hope I explain this so you will understand.
I have a couple of shows I made and have converted them to vob files for the dvd ready for burning.
I have also made some executables and screensavers for the pc which I have put in an autoplay menu.

Now what I want is to burn both to 1 dvd so when it is put into my regular dvd it will play on the tv, but when put in the pc the pc menu will auto run.
I am sure this can be done, but how?
I have Nero.

Nero is good...

Okay....DVD Crash Course....
DVDS use a UDF Physical partition.
Version 1.02 has the greatest compatibility with all dvd players.
In nero....you can either make a DVD-VIDEO image or a DVD-ROM UDF image with UDF 1.02 Physical Partition.....

I usually use DVD-Video.....since nero is guaranteed to sort your files....

OK......
A dvd player will look for:
the VIDEO_TS folder and start playing video off of the ifo file.....
If no VIDEO_TS folder is not found then it will just play the AC3 audio in AUDIO_TS.....

A computer will look for a autorun.ini file on a disk, otherwise it will try to match it to a pattern......

So basically, this is what you do...
Create a DVD-Video image in nero....
Add all your VOBs...ifos...bups..(your encoded dvd basically) into the VIDEO_TS file.....right......
Keep the AUDIO_TS empty, and leave it on the disk for compliance.

Then, go into the root of the directory of your image, and add your files to the root....you can also add extra folders to your image....add your exes...screensavers...images.......and other things.....as long as you DONT ADD ANYTHING FOREIGN TO video_ts or audio_ts........

Dont forget to write a autorun.ini script file, so it tells windows what to automatically run, when you insert the disk into a windows computer.....

Summarizing...
Dvd players look for video_ts and audio_ts............

Windows based pcs, look for the autorun.ini file first, and then look for the video_ts and audio_ts

If you wish for full compatibilty between oses....
Look up the flies needed for autostart (mac os's equivalent to autorun)...but you would have to make your exes and screen savers into unix format so they would run on mac os....

Theoretically, there is an autorun type feature for linux......
So if your interested.....you can look into that too...

If your a noob.....then the root directory is the outermost directory of the disk...
Or upper most directory if your thinking in b-tree terms...

Thanks for your replies. You explained it very well, I understand how now. the only thing is how do I write this 'autorun.ini script? I have no idea.

ok.....
Just find a script online....
Or on a disk......

Sorry...
Its actually an autorun.inf file

This is what it basically looks like

[autorun]
open=setup.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom