Is The World Ready For The Successor of the MP3? - wired.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
people need to be innovative to make things better.

if the usage isn't widespread, then the project won't be as successful as others...such as ogg.

is there anything that can be done to improve music formats besides reducing file sizes with great quality?

Well, with storage being so cheap why doesn't everyone just use wave then if it's that good? i mean it seems reasonable. you can fit 10-20 songs on a 700mb disc, so the file sizes can't be THAT big.(and I'm sure there is left over space on the disc)

50+ mb for a 4 minute song.

Storage is cheap, but still. Huge download sizes and that would make a 4GB player useless. Id rather use aac and get very good quality sound with 5mb filesizes.

Well, with storage being so cheap why doesn't everyone just use wave then if it's that good? i mean it seems reasonable. you can fit 10-20 songs on a 700mb disc, so the file sizes can't be THAT big.(and I'm sure there is left over space on the disc)

people are going to want to find the perfect balance between quality & file size. They want a file size that small as possible but not to exceed the point where it sacrifices "listening" quality.

If you're trying to sell cds with 10-20 songs at perfect quality, but the next person is trying to sell a cd with 50 songs at a cd quality....which do you think will sell more?

If you want perfect quality, then wave is the format for you. This is prolly true in recording studio.

The world isn't ready for MP3 replacement. I don't think it will be for a long time, 'cool' people will only by Mp3 players because they know what it is, and it's the known thing. You are not going to find all these kind of people buying Ogg players, just people like us. 'Us' are not enough to move an entire market forward into replacing MP3 players with FLAC, Ogg, or whatever you wanna use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom