Windows Vista Downgrade - Audio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaro

Beta member
Wonder if you guys can help me, been working on this for a couple of days.

I've had my laptop for over a year now, it came with Vista. I decided to downgrade to XP Pro, so I did. I've got most of the issues that come with downgrading fixed, except for audio (and that "SnowflakeEmulation" driver, but i don't really worry about that one).

I have an MSI GX710 system board, so I went to their website to download the XP drivers (Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers for GX710 - MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.). When I install these drivers, everything is grayed out in my audio options and it tells me there's no devices and of course, there is no audio. I've got no questions marks or exclamation points in device manager for audio. Also tried installing the drivers that came with the system with the same result.

I uninstalled the driver and did a windows update. It gave me one hardware driver update. This one said "ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01". I installed it and now my audio options are not grayed out, but my default device says "ATI HD Audio rear output". When i click on the drop-down box, no other option comes up. And of course, I've got no sound. BTW, I have tried plugging in external speakers and checking every setting for audio to no avail.

I get the feeling that if I plug in my laptop to an HDTV through my HDMI port, I might be able to get sound. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing this and I really need to get sound off my speakers.

I have also downloaded all the relevant drivers on the realtek page (Realtek) with no luck.

System Specs:

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56, MMX, 3DNow(2CPUs), ~790Mhz
Memory: 4gb (OS only recognizes 3gb)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 512Mb
System Board: MSI Notebook GX710
Sound: Not sure

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom