Why are speakers commonly added to LCD monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suidakra

Baseband Member
This is certainly not an important question, but just something for discussion. More of a miscellaneous topic I guess.

I've been madly browsing sites, newegg specifically, for LCD monitors and I've been doing this for quite a while now. Most come with speakers, and most people in the reviews complain about the lack of output of them or complain that they distort if the volume is very high. Now, just as simple as that *snaps fingers* you can disable them or not even plug the cord in to your soundcard in the first place, but still, why do compaines choose to even add them at all?

Another negative is simply, looks. The panel would be smaller, to only provide enough border for the screen itself, which would look better, in my opinion.

If I'm going to pay $300+ (and that's for budget LCDS!) then what makes these compaines think I'll settle for cheap speakers and won't have a set of my own? I mean no offense to anybody who uses their LCD speakers and is ok with them, but outside of somebody who's speakers will only play sounds in windows, I don't think they serve much purpose.

Because people who buy LCDs are in the market to save as much space as possible, so adding speakers saves the space that would be required for seperate speakers.

Ah, that is one good valid reason. I still think that saving space is not the concern of most LCD buyers, I think it's more for the look factor, but I can see how some would care for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom