whats that cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ween84

Beta member
I borough myself a jack lead, (as I said earlier)
To try and recorded cassette into Mp3/wav format, any way I have found that the cassette does not have any connection on the back,
so I have found an casstel tape player ( hand held one) with a socket for ear phone, and on the back of my computer in the two speaker socket one green one blue and microphone socket – red

What type of lead will I need to connect up the two?

some has suggested a male to male 2xphono?

Male to Male Phono is what you need. As to what size, it all depends on your cassette player's headphone socket and your computer microphone's socket sizes. If they are of different sizes, then you may need to buy an adapter.

Crysalis said:
no... it is either 1/8" or 1/4" phone jack.

The ones on your computer are 1/8"

I thought it was usually considered to be 2.5mm...

Either way, all your looking for is a line in line out cord (LILO), thats the male to male cable you were talking about..

Both jacks should be 2.5mm (or 1/8in), basically headphone jacks. Unless, liek stated previously, one of them is not a headphone jack and then you will need an adapter. THe ones in your computer shoudl eb headphone unless its specialized for audio tech. And my assumption is that since your handheld is a portable unit it was made fo ruse with headphones.

I finlay got my cable,

one that fits into a earphone socket ( coming form the Radio/ casstle) and the other socket going into the soudn cards, now it black but its only seems to work in the red plug ( mircpone socket) is this correct I thourgh it should go into the Black plug? :)

is there a line-in jack on teh computer, unless your recording voice only, the microphone line has a very low sound quality.

ween84 said:
I finlay got my cable,

one that fits into a earphone socket ( coming form the Radio/ casstle) and the other socket going into the soudn cards, now it black but its only seems to work in the red plug ( mircpone socket) is this correct I thourgh it should go into the Black plug? :)

The cable should go from player's earphone socket to the computer's Line In (BLACK in colour).

When every thing has been properly set up and switched on, try playing a cassette on your cassette player. You should be able to hear sound coming out of your computer's speakers. If not, the Line-In of the Volume Control may be muted. Go to System Tray (at the bottom righthand corner) and right-click on the Speaker icon and click Open Volume Control and uncheck the Line Voulume's Mute box if it was checked.

Pls let us whether every thing works out for you, ok?

I put all the volume up to max, and still it will only work with the RED line in ( mirc) adn still wont work with the Black onw

althourgh I can ask what does eah color do on the back of the sound card,

I know

speakers - green
Mirc - red
what about the others

Black => Line In
Red => mic
Green => Speaker/Headphone

Line In (Black) is used for connecting computer to an external audio source that has a Line Out, for example cassette/CD player. (Having said that, I found that you could also connect pc's Line In to Head/Earphone socket of your cassette player if it does not have Line Out. But if Line Out is available it's preferable over the Head/Earphone socket. )

So by right, you should be using the Black colour socket of your computer NOT the Red colour one.

Just a side note, recently while working on my friend's desktop, I also noticed that her computer's speakers needed to be plugged into the Red colour socket for any sound to be heard at all. Don't know if it's a case of pc manufacturer labelling the sockets wrongly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom