what are good noise canceling headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would avoid any of the celeb endorsed ones... that means the company put more money into that rather then the actual product development.

Instead I recommend brands like kilpsch, senhieser, pioneer, JVC.

I would get IEMs or In Ear Monitors.... they isolate, rather then have active noise cancelling circuits.

IEMs work without needing batteries and they are small and easy to use and carry.

for regular heaphones JVC FLats are very good cheap 12 dollar headphones and they are at wal-marts.... I have a pair and they are small, but have a little islolation becuase they have a little cup over the part of your ear. They even fit in one of my smaller purses.

stay away from skullcandy they got terrible sound and are very easy to blow. my lil bro has some curcum-aurals from them and they blew out really quick. they grind and sound like crap with bass. he has 2 pairs and one of them are non-blown out but they still sound like crap I gotta turn up the volume all the way to hear anything and it sounds muddy and grindy with HUGE high freq. cutoff. and the low range sounds boomy.

for regular heaphones all around sehnieser, and JVC are good picks.

starter list: IEMs:

Pioneer SE-CL721-H 3.5mm Connector In-Ear DJ Inspired Stereo Headphones
Sennheiser CX 215 3.5mm Connector Ear-Canal Headphone
Klipsch Image S3 3.5mm Connector In-Ear Rebel Red Nosie-Isolating Earphones W/ Oval Ear-tips

starter list: supra-aural (cupping but not covering the whole ear):

Sennheiser HD 219 3.5mm Connector On-Ear Noise Dampening Headphone
JVC HA-S150 FLATS Lightweight Headphones
Sennheiser HD 229 3.5mm Connector On-Ear Versatile-Use Stereo Headphone

Start List: Clip Ons

Sennheiser - Earbud Headphones w/ Volume controls (OMX 180)
JVC HA-EB75 (Black) Sports ear clip headphone

I would also stay away from the Beats. Personally, I use Bose QuietComforts and can recommend those, but definitely check out Sennheiser as well. The next time I upgrade, I will probably strongly consider something from Sennheiser. I've also used some Sony Noise Canceling headphones in the past for less than half the price of the Bose and still had a pretty good user experience. It'll be in your best interest to go to a home theater and/or music store and sample as many as possible. A lot of higher end noise canceling headphones can seem great at first, but can quickly become uncomfortable in an extended listening session.

Forget about the cancellation features that some items carry - its very poor at best. Cancelling sound has to be done at the same time the sound is created, or there are phase issues and you still get sound coming through. Not worth the batteries or extra money.

Find good supra-aural isolating headphones or IEM's. I have a set of Shure SE425's that do their job and do it quite well with the right fitting ear piece.

Bose QC 15

I travel internationally a few times per year. I noticed that the passengers with head phones all had bose. Hmm, at first I thought it was to much money for head phones. That was before I got stuck on a 11 hour flight next to a 400 pound guy that snore so loud no one could sleep. Well except the guy next to me with the bose on. Point is, I did my research, tested many products, read all the reviews and the clear winner was bose QC 15. They fit over your ears so they are comfortable. They sound great with music and they reduce the engine noise of the plane greatly. The person that said no product can do that is partly correct. No product can completely cut out all noise but the better ones can make a huge difference. "Waists of money", hardly that's the first thing I pull out of my pack when I sit down on the plane. If you can afford them, buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom