Weird video brightness problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesouthazn

Solid State Member
All of the videos on my computer play well and at the right brightness/contrast, but today I've run into a weird problem.

There's a video on youtube for the Kingdom Hearts I Ending (link here). When I watch it on youtube, the brightness/contrast is perfect. So I download it using a video downloader, and when viewing the video through Zoom Player or VLC, the video playback is very noticably dimmer.

I only have an integrated Nvidia geforce 6100 video, and I know that the video's playing through video overlay, so I open up the NVidia control panel and turn up the brightness and contrast for the video overlay to 180% each (they default at 100% each). Then I try playing the video again and it plays fine, as if I were watching it on youtube, BUT all my other videos are now too bright.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
The same problem above also occurs for this Kingdom Hearts video, but for no other downloaded videos. Every other video downloaded from youtube plays with the brightness/contrast pretty much intact.

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

peterhuang913, I followed your steps, and the new avi video is still really dim, same as before. I even tried converting the original .flv video to Xvid using AviDemux but nothing changed.

By the way, Makaveli213, you might want to add AviDemux (link) and Super Encoder (link) to the recommended software for video conversion. Avidemux reminds me of Virtual Dub - it's super fast, and a quick video editor too. Super Encoder is a free encoder that basically converts almost anything to anything else, multiple files too, and has lots of configuring options. It's actually ffmpeg and mencoder combined with a nice gui.

Ah, I tried, I was actually planning to but for some reason the video doesn't show up if I printscreen. Just a black box where the video should be.

This probably has something to do with the video overlay, I think...

Edit:
A new development to the problem: While I was tinkering around Zoom Player's options to fix the printscreen thing, I changed the video renderer from Overlay Mixer to VMR7, and now the video is alright, good brightness/contrast and everything, and all of my other videos are good too.

Now, my question is, is there anything wrong with keeping this VMR7 rendering? What's the difference between it and the Overlay Mixer when it comes to Video performance/quality?

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

peterhuang913, I followed your steps, and the new avi video is still really dim, same as before. I even tried converting the original .flv video to Xvid using AviDemux but nothing changed.

By the way, Makaveli213, you might want to add AviDemux (link) and Super Encoder (link) to the recommended software for video conversion. Avidemux reminds me of Virtual Dub - it's super fast, and a quick video editor too. Super Encoder is a free encoder that basically converts almost anything to anything else, multiple files too, and has lots of configuring options. It's actually ffmpeg and mencoder combined with a nice gui.
Post right in the thread. ;) it will then get added.

It could jsut be that the downloaded file is dim overall and that is why the file looks that way.

It could jsut be that the downloaded file is dim overall and that is why the file looks that way.

Well, the video shows up in perfect clarity on youtube but after downloading it's significantly dimmer/darker if rendered with the default overlay. If the video itself was dim, then it wouldn't look so bright and clear on youtube, right?

And the thing is, the two videos above are the only ones with this problem. I've downloaded tons of videos from youtube and none of them are affected by this.

Anyone know a free video editor that'll just let me adjust the brightness/contrast of a video?

The video on youtube could be adjsuted by internal control. Could be something with the site itself that allows it to be brighter than the original. With the thousands of videos on youtube they haev to account for the fact that not all videos are gonna be high quality and have to adjsut them to meet some kinda standard.

AGain i point to post #3 which has all sorts of software in there. Try something in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom