VLC not windows media!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
I am tryin to get a video to play in VLC player but everytime I try to watch it windows media player opens to try and play it but it can't... so, how do I get VLC to play it?

well this is on a website though, I tried what you said but I right click and go to properties and I don't see a "open file with"

Oh website, Sometimes its what the website sets as defualt... I dunnue, it varies from website to website. Look for a Help or FAQ Section.

Or post the website and someone could help more if we see which options you have..

In this case you might not be able to. Go into VLC and see if you can set it to open streaming files. The type of movie you're trying to watch might only work in windows media player. You'd have to post the video for me to help you out anymore.

The most direct route is to do the following (and it will be helpfull to know this for other files as well)

Open a folder (anyfolder).
On the top menu bar click Tool->Folder Options
Click the File Types Tab
Find the VLC extentsion in the box below.
The application it currently opens with (WMP) should come up underneath.
Click change, than select the program you want to open it with in the next widow, if its not in the list, you can browse for it and just select the executable.

And there you go. Hope this helps, oh and I didn't ask but I hope this is for XP :)

The most direct route is to do the following (and it will be helpfull to know this for other files as well)

Open a folder (anyfolder).
On the top menu bar click Tool->Folder Options
Click the File Types Tab
Find the VLC extentsion in the box below.
The application it currently opens with (WMP) should come up underneath.
Click change, than select the program you want to open it with in the next widow, if its not in the list, you can browse for it and just select the executable.

And there you go. Hope this helps, oh and I didn't ask but I hope this is for XP :)

Website, not file on comp..
And my "route" is more direct than that..

Website, not file on comp..
And my "route" is more direct than that..

Only if the website is specifing a specific application be used. Most times, embedded media does not actually define what application to play the file in, it just gives the file type and lets your system handle it. If you embedd an .avi file(which can be played on a ton of media players) your default player for the .avi extension will be used to play the file.

Even still, if Windows Media player can not handle/play VLC media, it should not be ascociated with it.

Also your route may be a shortcut, but it is better to know how to actually look up the filetypes, seeing as the VLC file isn't on his computer, he can't very well right click it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom