a virtual thumb drive for car audio possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
im not sure if anyone up for the task or if its even possible,

i persoanlly and many others would love to integrate car PC with current USB units.
so i can play flac files directly from car PC.
without using AUX cable.

using the usb interlink like toshiba(or hitachi i forgot) that connects 2 PCs together for file transfer through USB

can one of those be adapted to create a virtual thumb drive or virtual ipod of some kind so that pc would decode the flac files and send them to car stereo usb as PCM wav.

why do you want to do this? There are ways that you can integrate a car stereo system to a car pc, by using a 'phantom usb drive' you'll be connecting it to the front of the deck, the same as you would with an auxiliary cable.

It sounds like you want to take the most simplistic method of audio playback and complicate it immensely without adding any benefits.

oh i never knew it existed lol
it is hardware of a driver for windows?
i guess i just said same thing you did but with alot more words and made it sound complicated

oh wait u mean AUX cable?

im trying to avoid it

paying FLAC file through aux cable defies the purpose of having lossless media.

i can play 320 mp3 with same sucess through cd player

im trying to get the cleanest possible signal to the amp.

the sound is decoded at the sound card to be sent to aux cable then its processed again by the radio for the EQ and dsp and again decoded to be sent to the 4 channel amp.
thats comes out like mcdonalds cheeseburger, already pre chewed.

i want quality and i have tonns of FLAC cds backed up
i bought a car pc thinking that this would be a god solution but id like to retain a car radio as interface and volume control.

navigating through PC screens while driving is not that safe.
yes im sure i can spend a bit more money( about 2000-3000 more) and get what i want but i dont have that kind of money.

car PC and car stereo is easy on its own but connecting the two together is not so much

my headunit has a rear USB cable so it will be in the glove box and not on the front.
thats pretty much the only reason i want this whole headache is so i can play FLAC files in the car with their full quality not through AUX cable(and have an easy to use interface)

sorry I reread my post and it didn't say what I wanted it to... stupid grammar...

Could you just put the music you have on a like 64gb flash drive and leave it plugged into the back of the head unit?

As far as the safety concerns go, regardless of how you end up solving this problem you're going to be distracted changing the music one way or another be it changing the music on the head unit or a screen. I'm almost 99% sure that there are like head units with touch screen displays that can connect to a large storage device, which could simply be a hard drive wired to be on when you start the car and all that, OR you could get a smallish screen, mount it, and put a custom OS on there that's like android based touch capable and use that.

well theres no flac support for any car audio and i dont think there ever will be since its an open source codec.

well theres no flac support for any car audio and i dont think there ever will be since its an open source codec.
There is no way to know this for sure. My car syncs up with my phone easily and I play all sorts of files right from it, including FLAC. No need for a Car PC as I let my phone do it all and my phone is Android based. So it in open source. I also have the option to hook up a USB drive as well. Which I have an got about 15,000 MP3 files on there. No matter what you do, there is going to be some sort of distraction with what you want. Cause the car stereo will not fast forward songs for you. Since you will be playing them off your PC not the car stereo. You would need to do what Peter said and hook up a USB thumb drive in order for your car stereo to retain that control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom