Video forums go ballistic over "Why edit video at all"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectateSwamp

Banned
Hi

Video forums go ballistic when I state:

"Why edit video at all"

I have had my digital camcorder for 3 years now.
There is no need to edit video, I just have my computer,
skip over the offensive material or advertisements.

You just get more good video, when you are out shooting and shooting
as compared to sitting in front of a computer, bit fiddling.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=291143

This site locked the thread. Censorship...

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7383

Doug Pederson

i think their reasons for disagreeing are well-documented and well-deserved. like someone said, videos are an artform to some, not just some unorganized clutter of pictures and sound.

besides, you posted in a forum about editing. and then you posted on a video editing website.

that's like going to a music recording forum and posting "why mix, edit, and finalize a song?" or "why delete the noises and/or silence at the beginning and/or end of a song?"

or another example... that's like saying you should show people all of your pictures from your rolls of film. how many stupid f*cked up shittttey pictures have you seen. that's why you edit, you pick and choose, you show the good content.

i thought it was common sense, not an option.

i would like to add that after reading the entirety of both those links, you annoy me. I'm not sure why you registered here, but your second post was an attempt to get sympathy on a topic you deserve no sympathy on.

i hope you don't have the gall to "$hit-stir" in this forum, because you will get shot down and your thread will get closed.

now don't think i'm an a&&hole, because I rarely am. and I do see your point. but expressing your point in the way you did in the place you did was a blatant attempt to **** people off, and I can't respect that.

It's ok to **** people off, when they are wrong.

Any casual surfer comming across these sites,
would think, don't even get a camcorder,
because you have to learn this complex new technology. Editing.

It just ain't so.

I shoot lots and lots of video, most are less than 2 minutes.

There is almost no delay, when playing any segment from a file
that small.

One forum has nearly 3000 reads in the last week.
The only ones comming out against me, are the forum bullies
(those with hundreds if not thousands of posts)
They have 120,000+ registered users. Not many of them are in
the business of producing commercial video.

People need to know, that it is ok, not to edit at all.
They'll even get more great shots, that way.

At a recent town hall forum. (a week ago)
I videoed it all and distributed the video, the next day.
They would have been more ****ed at me, if I chose to
edit something out.

At another Election forum, 3 of the local TV networks were
covering the event. They were there because one candidate
was the Deputy Prime Minister.
The next day, when I delivered the video, the main opposition
was waiting for me. They thought that the DPM had mentioned
committing more troups to Afganistan.
It wasn't the case.
If they had went with the incorrect info.
The DPM would probably have lost. It was that close.

The main networks only shot a few seconds here and there.
I had everything.

I even showed them up, by extending camera and tripod
way over my head, for some of the before and after forum
shots. Those big cameras just wern't as mobile.

There is so much more, that digital video can be used for.

I could quickly video in a book.
Then go to any page and start the playback in slow motion.
Do the same for data dumps to the screen, when doing
legacy system conversions.
Most transaction / work order, info gets left behind,
as it is almost impossible to load.

Don't scan family photos, video them in along with some
dialog about the people or places in the pic.

Another thing, I suggest that would have Edit gurus
gasping and sucking the walls in is:
If I want to send a small segment of the video on the net.
I'll display it on my Flatscreen and video that in.
It's very quick to do.
I don't need any editing software. (or the learning curve)
It reduces the resolution.
(that's ok if you want to keep the original to yourself)
(also there is far more loss of resolution, when I transfer my
mpeg video to the site. So any loss by re-shooting, goes almost
unnoticed.)

My unedited video, has been on display in a couple storefronts
The reaction from the people on the street has been very positive

I'm sure your videos are great, and I'm not in any position to doubt your creative and professional accomplishments.

However, I wouldn't say that the folks you p*ssed off were 'wrong' as you claim. They have their way, you have your way.... I just think the setting in which you made your claim was inappropriate and was just begging to become a $hit fest.

You have your own style of video that seems to work for you...so props for that.

Here is a list of those forums, I am actively following on this subject.
I try not to repeate myself too much.
You might want to check those threads.
I may have said something there, that you could attack me on.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=291143 (These guys, seem to have lost interest, or just lost)
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91120

http://forums.devshed.com/the-outho...istic-when-i-state-why-edit-video-323436.html
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=780068#post780068
http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7383 (This one is locked)
Still too many forums to easily watch..

Just got banned at one site.
But not here. Yet
So many good arguments there too.
But not to worry I've found a replacement forum.
Must have hit a nerve with this no-edit thingie.

"I could quickly video in a book.
Then go to any page and start the playback in slow motion."
---What you're doing is editing. Non-destructive and non-perminant editing. When you fast-foward through commercials when you record a TV show to watch it later, you are editing the content to your personal taste at that moment.

"At a recent town hall forum. (a week ago)
I videoed it all and distributed the video, the next day.
They would have been more ****ed at me, if I chose to
edit something out."

That is something COMPLETELY different. That is a documentation of an event, where all information is important. The video is not there for quality and watchable-qualities, it is there to document what happened. Maybe audio editing would be necessary, if the sound-feed sucked - just to make everything clear and easily heard (the point of documenting a town-hall meeting)

THIS paragraph made me do a double-take:

"Another thing, I suggest that would have Edit gurus
gasping and sucking the walls in is:
If I want to send a small segment of the video on the net.
I'll display it on my Flatscreen and video that in.
It's very quick to do.
I don't need any editing software. (or the learning curve)
It reduces the resolution.
(that's ok if you want to keep the original to yourself)
(also there is far more loss of resolution, when I transfer my
mpeg video to the site. So any loss by re-shooting, goes almost
unnoticed.)"

Take a picture.
Photocopy it.
Photocopy the photocopy.
Keep doing that.

Quality decreases if you copy the copy. The master is always the absolute best quality. The file is the original. The video playing on your screen is a reproduction of the data that makes up the original, thus being a copy. You are copying a copy by video-taping the reproduction play-back. Not only that, but your screen refreshes at a certain frequency, and that is undoubtedly NOT sync'd with your video camera's frame-rate. I can assure you, that you simply do not notice the quality drop. It is more efficient, and quicker if you're familiar with your own software, if you simply edit your video down to what segment you want, then upload it to a web-site. Oh, and by the way - you're doing destructive editing here. You're editing your footage down to a smaller segment of time at your choice. ****, just shooting video in itself is editing. You don't get the whole picture - you choose what to shoot and what not to shoot. Video and photography are NOT truthful forms of communication, as you edit upon capturing the image.

I do agree that if you're out shooting and getting more footage, that you'll get much more good-footage. However, you're comparing yourself to people who are working for news channels - they are supposed to get maybe 5 minutes worth of video, take it back to the station, edit it to their time-segment, and go out and shoot the next story. The 10pm news has to cover MUCH more than one press conference, so it makes no sense to shoot 3 hours of footage and sift through it to get the 3-5 minutes they need, or shoot for one-hour and just show that one press conference. As a personal user - you should be shooting as much as you can regardless - same concept: you get more good, usable footage. However, you set aside different time-periods to edit down the terrible, unusable, boring parts of your footage, to come up with a watchable segment of video that requires no extra work by the viewer (fast-fowarding / slow-mo).

Most of the people on forums like that do video for practical purposes or as an art-form. Like I said, unedited video has virtually no place in commercial television, mor any commercial setting for that matter. Video for them has to be stream-lined, interesting, fast-moving, and informative in a short-period of time - something un-edited video simply cannot do.

As an art-form, the video has to be well-throught out, scrutinized over (image quality, movement, etc etc.). Un-edited video has a small niche in the art-world (Andy Warhol's portraits), but most of the time they would look TERRIBLE, out of place, and wouldn't flow as the artist wants.

Your unedited video is great for documentation purposes, but not for commercial or artistic purposes. Editing has a HUGE place in video - so THAT'S why video editing should be done. I'm not saying you as an individual should edit your video, but I am simply contradicting your general statement about all video editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom