VIA AC'97 On-Board Sound Problems WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolieo

Solid State Member
Hi,
I am having great difficulties getting my onboard VIA AC'97 sound to work.

I will tell you what the specs of the related hardware:

Jetway 663AS Motherboard
AMD 1.2GHz CPU
VIA AC'97 On-Board Sound Chip

I am running Windows XP Pro, and I have had problems since I first re installed win98 which came with the computer. The first time I reinstalled windows, the sound card just wasnt recognised by the computer any more. The settings in bios are questionable as there is no ON setting for the sound card, I can either disable the sound or set it to AUTO.

I have tired numerous defferent drivers from JETWAY and VIA to try to get it to work.

I have tried installing the drivers for the sound manually and there is still no joy.

Anyone that has any help please reply as I am desperate to get the onboard chip to work as I have no space left in my PCI and ISA slots for another sound card.

If you need any more info then email me at s.coull@btinternet.NOSPAM.com and remove the no spam part for obvious reasons.

Thanks,
Steven Coull

I was going to suggest just getting a sound card until I saw you have no more room. That's basically how I solved the onboard sound problem with that chipset. Are you running dual OS now or you went "back" to 98?

I am using XP at the moment. It is not dual booted and it is the only operating system in the pc at the moment.

I have tried installing 98, ME, XP home and PRO but all of them cannot find the sound. There is no listing in device manager and when I try to add it via add new hardware it just says that it cannot start device. I am assuming that it says that because it cannot find the device to start it???

In the bios, I have the option to set the sound to Auto or Disabled. There is no enabled option.

It does stay set at auto after a reboot.

I think that there may be a jumber on the mainboard that I do not know of that could enable it manually?? There is no reference to this in the manual which i have downloaded from the Jetway website.

I have just installed Win Me again, and using the CD that came with the computer, it tells me that the chipset is not enabled.

The cd does not work for XP, so I cant see what error it would give me on XP.

I have tried using add new hardware, but after i add the device manually it doesnt show up in device manager after telling me that it has worked correctly.

Yes I have checked that. There are no conflicts and all of the other hardware is working properly.

Before I installed Windows Me again I removed all of the hardware in my computer so I only have the video card in it now.

I have reset the bios and then enabled the sound after the reset.

Still no joy.

There are no bios updates related to the sound. There are two other updates that are available. But they are related to the graphics and I have tried them and they do not work.

I have tried installing a PCI and ISA sound card and both of them work. But I have to remove them again to make space for my other hardware.

There is no listings in device manager that are not installed. So there is no 'Other Devices' tab.

There are no bios updates related to the sound. There are two other updates that are available. But they are related to the graphics and I have tried them and they do not work.

So, no there is no BIOS updates available that will help.

What could cause the chip to fail, as the sound only failed after I had to reinstall windows for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom