Is the VGA Card of laptop (64 mb Intel(R) Extreme Graphics) equivilant to desktop VGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi...
I recently figured out that I have 64 MB VGA Card (Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile)

Is it the equivilant of a 64 MB VGA Card for a desktop or is it more? (Usually, on a new desktops come with at lease 128 mb or 256 mb VGA..my laptop has only 64...

Are they the same? (64mb on laptop=64 mb regular desktop VGA card...)

Thanx

The video ram is the same, but the type of RAM, speed of the GPU, etc. will be different from card to card, especially going from a notebook graphics card to a desktop card.

Also, your graphics are integrated into the motherboard, so it's not exactly a card.

Thank you for your reply...

Does this mean that a 64 MB Graphics card delivers a different performance than a 64mb graphics card on a desktop?

What do you mean "The video ram is the same, but the type of ram and the speed differ"

Thankx again

most likely the answer is yes...that is unless you have a desktop system which also has intergrated graphics...if the desktop solution were a 64 mb AGP...it would be faster than your laptop by far...i believe that the ram isn't the same...I don't think that the intergrated graphics have there own ram...I believe it's allocated in the system ram...and that's not good it wastes the ram you have in the system..but hey it's a laptop...there isn't much you can do about it unless you decide to add more system ram...which i suggest since it only has 512mb...get another stick of 512mb

if you had a dedicated graphics card, it would be a lot faster.
the onboard Intel Extreme graphics use your CPU and RAM.
a dedicated video card will have its own GPU (which will be a lot faster graphics processor than the CPU, and it takes load off the CPU) and its own VRAM (so it doesn't have use the system's RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom