Uninstalled media players showing in autoplay options

Status
Not open for further replies.

comradec

Solid State Member
I recently uninstalled RealPlayer 11 and Nero 8's media player from my Windows Vista computer because I had found better alternatives.

When I load a CD-ROM or similar media, however, I find that both RealPlayer and Nero are still shown among the options in the list of programs I'm invited to use for playing back the media (the autoplay menu). Only this time the two programs are shown without their proper logo icons.

How can I configure the list of options so that uninstalled programs aren't shown? (I still want to be given a choice rather than default to a single program or action, but I don't want non-installed software showing.)

I uninstalled RealPlayer via the Windows control panel, then manually deleted all remaining files from the program. After that, I ran a redundant files and registry clean-up using CCleaner in the expectation that this would erase all trace of it. Nero 8's media player was uninstalled via Nero's own customisation routine (I kept the CD/DVD burning features) followed by a CCleaner tidying up.

Windows Media Player also shows up in the same list of programs without its icon. I would expect WMP to be there, of course, because it hasn't been uninstalled, but it would be nice to get the icon back.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the tip. I managed to get Autoplay Repair working, but it's not the most stable piece of software on my computer. It's possibly not 100% Vista-ready yet. All the same, I was able to delete the unwanted entries from the autoplay menu.

What I haven't succeeded in doing, though, is restoring icons to some of the entries in autoplay. Each of the desired functions (e.g. play in program X, Y or Z) shows up in the autoplay menu but some have lost the icons associated with them.

Any idea how I might restore missing icons like these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom