The ultimate subwoofer project

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I set out to build the ultimate subwoofer and it is sort of a success. I finish my cabinet so it would look like the rest of my system. I add ½ Birchwood to my ¾ mdf for my exterior wall with the woofer side have 2 pieces of mdf sandwich together. Now my finishes on boxes have always left something to be desired. In the past, I have my buddies Gene and Eric Alexander finish my boxes after I build them but this finish looked great to me.

I took my Kove Armeggeddon (now called a Treo speaker) and put it in an 12.31 cubic ft box with extensive bracing which give me an port frequency of 22.69 Hz and an f3 21.64 Hz. Those are the lowest number that I've ever had with a speaker and box. I had my jbl subwoofer box (9 o 10 cu. ft) tuned lower than that (17hz) but it's f3 was 55hz. I've never encounter an f3 this low. So I was super excited about this project

Over the years my experience has taught me that facing the woofer down give you the most bass so that is how I faced my woofer and ports on this project.

I've finish today and went to audition it. It sucked. Only the low notes played and the subwoofer amp would keep shutting off. I threw my jbl 1500 gti speaker in the box and it sucked worse. I put the kove back in was going to settle for my disappointed sound when my wife pick up (her golden ears might just be better than mine. Over the years she has learned how to listen to music because of me and she's good. I value her opinion) on something. She was complaining about the rattle coming from the box. Now I know that my boxes don't rattle.
So I traced the sound to my woofer down by the ground by the box. there was tremendous pressure down there. It was so great that it was interfering with the woofer movement. The pressure was pushing against itself. It was stopping the performance. So I throw the box on its side and that fixes everything. I've never in my life heard bass this low.
I was feeling bass music on the back of my brain (that's the best that I can describe it). The only problem? The sub setup now looks ghetto. I'm going to have to fix this

Sub.jpg

Sub5.jpg

Sub4.jpg

sweet, lol random error though. I don' think I've ever heard of anything like that happening.
And what, no pics with the sub included? awwwww.

Uuuuhhhh

WOW

Nice work Eric.

thanks.

^I'm guesing they were just random block he had around, don't need to be anything special I guess.

you got it

those were from 4x4 block that I had. at my last house I had a 2 car garage and plenty of space. here I had no garage. I got the house any way since it was a better house. I built a tool shed and everything doesn't fit in there so I leave the 4x4 and 2x4 outside on the side of the shed since rain doesn't hurt them like mdf. a lot of that mess was on the wood is the dripping from the wood stain. when we used build boxes, we would carpet the front and or spray paint black it so that you would not see that excess stuff, but I didn't care to do that since it was mine people won't see that part.

I wonder what will happen if I take the 4inch leg off and put 10 inch legs on it

Woah.. man, that thing is awesome. I'd love to hear that thing.

How much did it cost you ? or were they all bits you had lieing around anyway.

and man you should be happy to have such a wife i don't know many if any that would let there man have a subwoofer that big in the living room no matter how much he wanted it :D

and man you should be happy to have such a wife i don't know many if any that would let there man have a subwoofer that big in the living room no matter how much he wanted it :D
QFT my wife would freak but I would do it anyways. :D

That's really excellent work there. Congrats Eric. When I get back to the states I want to build a killer system and will probably be posting lots of questions here for your advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom