toyota head unit help (car audio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taintedplay

lolwut?
Hey guys, my friend has a toyota four runner. All stock audio. Her cd player is jacked up, every time she hits a bump it cuts out for a few seconds, and the outside antenna broke off so when she goes under a tree sometimes she hears static. Her birthdays in 2 weeks, and i though a new head unit would be a great gift, would a new headunit with built in cd player solve her whole cd problem? (id keep the stock speakers)

Also is there a way to fix the antenna thing (thats cheap?)

How hard would just replacing the head unit be considering i have no experience?

A new head unit would fix the skipping, unless it's just ridiculously rattly in her truck or something. They aren't hard to put in, I installed one a few years back when I knew nothing about car audio. I still don't know much, but I just installed another a few months ago with no problems.

If the actual antenna is broken I'm sure you could just get a cheap replacement somewhere and screw it in, but if it's the base of it or something that's broken it could be a little more expensive since you'd have to find and buy a Toyota specific part.

Hey guys, my friend has a toyota four runner. All stock audio. Her cd player is jacked up, every time she hits a bump it cuts out for a few seconds, and the outside antenna broke off so when she goes under a tree sometimes she hears static. Her birthdays in 2 weeks, and i though a new head unit would be a great gift, would a new headunit with built in cd player solve her whole cd problem? (id keep the stock speakers)

Also is there a way to fix the antenna thing (thats cheap?)

How hard would just replacing the head unit be considering i have no experience?

Most you'll have to know how to do is match up colors with a wiring harness/solder the connections together. Very easy to do. All you'll have to do is get the make/model/year of the vehicle so you can get an install kit (bracket that will make the aftermarket deck fit into the previous space, and a wiring harness to connect the aftermarket radio's harness to the stock vehicle harness. If you have a local place you can go to for 'em, go there otherwise go onto somehwere like crutchfield.com and look up the parts.

As for the antenna...I know the place I work at has whole antenna kits for vehicles for around $10-15, which has the antenna, base, and antenna cable.

hardest part about ti all would be that EVERY head unit ive replaced has made me take off a good chunk of the dash out to do it lol

yea but after that you pretty much just cut the wires, twist the copper ends together, tape it up, and bam your done

I never saw the use in soldering them together. If you twist them together and use some electrical tape...they aren't coming undone lol and its a lot faster just twisting and taping.

Buy a *good* crimp and some good female-female connectors and just crimp them all. Its not hard, and can really be just as good as soldering them in most cases. Also makes for a very clean install instead of taping everything.

^Yea I have seen it done like that with friends. Taping it doesn't really make any mess unless you go crazy it should look just as good as if you crimped. I just like to keep things simple, that and I am poor and lazy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom